Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



23 December 2005

Double-knitting Purple Mittens



Here they are so far: double knitted, purl side out, from the fingertip end towards the cuff. I just passed the point for the thumb last night, and put in scrap yarn (Elizabeth Zimmermann's "thumb trick") for the thumb holes. I have about three more inches to knit on these before I get to the cuffs.

I'm starting to think they won't quite be done by Christmas, but I plan to give it my best shot! Mitten-knitting will have to wait in line behind helping with the Christmas Eve seafood chowder (usually my job is peeling the frozen shrimp -- it's just not Christmas Eve unless my fingers are frozen and smell of seafood!), and making a batch of apple dumplings.



I did finish another knitted Christmas ornament for our tree. Wish I had a digital camera that took good close-ups! My son told me quite firmly that I had to make one for our tree, because I was not supposed to only make the good stuff to give away.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lynn, your blog is so charming...Thank You. I thought I was the last person on Earth who remembered Emily Post. Manners were not optional in my house, they were a matter of life or death; life if you used them, death if you didn't. :) Apple dumplings eh? I have never gotten that one right and I LOVE apple dumplings! Feel free to send some to PA.

8:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter