Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



07 January 2006

Yahoo Frame Knitting Group hits 1000 Members!

Wow. The Yahoo group I started for frame knitters just went over 1000 members this weekend. I am pretty thrilled to have hit this milestone with a two-year-old group, and trying to think of something suitable celebratory to do.

I have been trying to read my Groups email and catch up, trying to read books I got for Christmas, trying to finish the cuffs on the purple mittens, and what did I do?

My fiber arts guild meets at the library, and I checked out the latest Harry Potter book. So pretty much everything fell by the wayside while I had a good read. I'm one of those fast readers. Books feel to me like movies, playing in my head. Every so often I go on a complete fiction binge.

Latest reads:

Terry Pratchett's The Last Continent, Carpe Jugulum, The Wee Free Men, and A Hat Full of Sky.
Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
N.E.Bode's The Anybodies
Eoin Colfer's Artemis Fowl: the Opal Deception

Last night we went to our Society for Creative Anachronism meeting, which was also our Wassail, and had a great time and great food, despite leaving my book and my knitting at home. Now for me, that's saying something!

I have been to canton meetings (local SCA groups) where every time anyone proposed doing something, there were gloomy naysayers to explain why it couldn't be done.

My local group is not like this. Instead, you have to be careful, because if you say, "Wow, it would be nice if we could fill a gift basket for the Baron and Baroness", poof, you have people handing around a piece of paper and writing down what they will put in the basket. And then, crivens, actually turning the stuff in! If you mention something you're skilled in, the next thing you know you're teaching a class in it.

It's sometimes out of my comfort zone (teaching? me? [panicky wobbly stomach]), but it's also a bunch of fun.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter