Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



19 February 2006

I'm a weather nut

One of the things I like best about the internet is being able to look up weather forecasts and radar whenever I want. When I was a kid, and they would show the radar on TV, I always wished I could replay it. Now I can replay it whenever I want to. The Michigan weather radar I look at all the time is here. It shows most of Michigan's lower peninsula, plus bits of Wisconsin, Illinois, Indiana, and Ohio.

I have a large collection of weather-related links. When I want to feel warm and toasty in the winter, I go look at the GLERL* webcams of Lake Michigan. (*Great Lakes Environmental Research Laboratory.) Right now I'm looking at a lovely shot of Muskegon's red lighthouse being hit by waves and spray.

Another Lake Michigan link is CoastWatch. This one shows the surface temperature of all five Great Lakes. In the summer, I use it to decide whether we're going swimming, or just wading in the surf. When I want more specific temperature information, I go to the Sea Grant website. At 37 degrees F, I will not be swimming any time soon!

We aren't getting a lot of snow accumulation, but it is supposed to warm up to 20 deg. F today. I've been trying to take pictures of my birdfeeder, but the brightness of the snow is making the feeder shots too dark.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter