Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



22 February 2006

Roses



I had to share these great roses I got from Aldi's. $2.99, six stems, and either 24 or 25 blooms.

In the dead of winter, I like to buy myself flowers. I love my husband. He's a very sweet guy. But he's not a flower-buying kind of guy. If I waited for him to buy me flowers, I'd be laying on my back in a box with the flowers on the top. I don't know about you, but I would rather have my flowers now, while I can appreciate them. Especially when everything is frozen and chilly outside. Aren't these gorgeous?

My Dead Buick



Here it is, my "dead Buick" project, also known as "the endless belt". I have about four feet of it done, and want to make about another foot. It is going to be a belt for my SCA (Society for Creative Anachronism) garb.

"Garb" is a catch-all word for "what I wear to SCA events". I "play" in the 11th century (think Norman Conquest), so my garb is pretty simple: linen shift, gown, and I should wear a veil, but generally don't. Actually, I probably shouldn't wear a belt. But in order to have someplace to stash money and car keys, I wear a belt with a pouch on it.

This belt is frame-knitted in a "1 over 2" pattern. (Wrap the board 3 times or 3 layers to start, then lift the bottom-most loop over. Wrap 1 time so there are 3 loops again, lift the bottom-most loop over.) This creates a fabric that (from a distance) resembles card-weaving or tablet-weaving.

I'll try for a close-up, but I guarantee nothing . . .

And no, since I have been asked this, my waist is not five feet around!

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

LOL, when I saw that it was 5-feet long I thought, that can't be for her, maybe she's making it for me...hmmm. But now I understand next time I'm over and you have something on those knitting posts or whatever you call them you'll have to show me because I'm not getting it.

Hugs!

4:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter