Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



15 May 2006

Rain, Mother's Day, Finished Objects

The rain was not just good for the orchards (and the irrepressible grass!), it was also good for my knitting. Since it was both raining and cold, I stayed inside and knitted on various things. I finished a couple that have been sitting around for a while, too!

Finished: two dishcloths, my smoke ring (which morphed in the knitting to a sort of balaclava-like hood object), and the cotton-candy socks. The socks are done except for the binding-off, and that is going quickly.

Yesterday I worked on my adaptation of the fancy dishcloth I graphed, and wondered why it had been "just sitting." It is not difficult, and it works up fairly fast. The cotton is much more lively than whatever the original was knitted of. I am starting to think linen: although linen is undeniably "sproing-y" on the needles, when you wet it and block it, it is as obedient as anything.

I had an excellent Mother's Day Sunday. My son spared me breakfast (and crumbs) in bed, and gave me four gifts: a flower he made in art, two cards, and a bracelet with bead letters that spell out "I love you". He is at that sweet age where he is completely certain that you will love what he gives you. None of that wondering or fretting over "Will she like it."

And being that I am his mom, I do love it, and he will doubtless find this bracelet in my jewelry box when I am eleventy-eleven years old. When you walk around all day wearing a bracelet that says "I love you," it reminds you of all the ways that life is good.

Later we went out for Belgian waffles with strawberries on top. We used to get these at a small local restaurant about the size of a railroad car. Unhappily, the last time we went there, all full of waffle-anticipation, they no longer offered them. My husband found another all-day breakfast place that offered Belgian waffles, and so I got my waffle fix. Yum.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The dishclothes re so cute! I really want to try making those myself one of these days. Sounds like you had a great Mother's Day too.

12:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awww, those little handmade gift really are the best, aren't they?

I visited Post Secrets today and they had all these Mother's Day postcards but one of them showed a little person on a porch in a halloween costume and the secret was that there was nothing she enjoys about being a mother. That just broke my heart, I cannot imagine feeling that way and I felt so sorry for her, I said a little prayer. I hope that when her child brings her flowers in a dixie cup she will have a change of heart.

11:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

p.s. love the colors on the smoke ring! Can't wait to see it in person!

11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter