Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



08 May 2006

Trunk Show Tonight!

This is it -- the West Michigan Lace Group's trunk-show meeting is tonight! We will be meeting from 7pm to 8:30pm at the Hampton Inn North in Walker, Michigan, at 500 N. Center Dr. NW off Alpine Avenue, behind Hobby Lobby and Cracker Barrel. Our trunk-show vendor is Kathy Kirchner.

Ordinarily, I don't like to shop at all. But this is different -- thread, lace tools, books, things I'm actually interested in, all in one room. Nothing like a craft store, where the selection is thin, and if you ask about ordering a knitting needle smaller than a US 0, they look at you as if you'd asked for a set of smaller hands to knit with.

Q & A Time

Q: How do you train a husband to cook and wash dishes?

A: Luckily for me, his mom had done that! (Good thing about the cooking, too, as I have burned the tea kettle twice trying to boil water!)

Q: How does the color of a dishcloth made of two strands of crochet thread hold up?

A: I don't know about knitted ones, but I wove a couple of dozen dishcloths eight or ten years ago using mostly crochet thread, and the colors have held up pretty well. Not like the dishcloth cotton that starts out red and fades to pink after a wash or two!

Q: You keep talking about double knitting. What the heck is double knitting anyway?

A: Most of the time when I knit, I am making one layer of knitted fabric. If I'm knitting a flat piece, it is one layer, and if I'm knitting a tube, I am knitting one layer of the tube.

Double knitting involves knitting two layers at once. If I am knitting something flat, like a potholder, I am knitting a front layer and a separate back layer. If I am knitting two socks at once, I am knitting an inside sock tube and an outside sock tube at the same time. I know, kinda makes the brain stretch, doesn't it?

These are Christine's socks, with the inner sock pulled out. See how both socks are on one set of needles?

Short post today, as I have to take Ajax to the vet for his checkup this morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter