Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



27 April 2006

Green Pi in the Springtime

I put in a couple of repeats of the baby fern pattern from the Reader's Digest Complete Book of Needlework. But as I am running out of space on the needles, I am also running out of the green thread. I am thinking that after I complete the second repeat of baby fern, I'll probably try a picot knit edging. (And most likely run out of thread halfway around and join the frogs in the "rip-it, rip-it" pond, but oh well!)

My other adventure yesterday was to dump the Shetland fleeces I got from a member of my local Freecycle group onto the clean grass and see what I had.

The guy with the sheep had gotten the sheep free, and is not a "fiber guy". He's more of a city person who moved out to the country last year, and is charmed enough with country life to have pigs, ducks, chickens, and the sheep. So these sheep were not raised with clean fleeces for spinning in mind.

A couple of them I think are only going to be useful as weed barrier around my lilies. But at least one seems to have some nice fiber in it. I'll be consulting my spinner-mom to see what she thinks. At worst, the lanolin in the fleece was much kinder to my hands than the stems of the myrtle I've been pulling out for the last couple of weeks!

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your Pi doily is looking good! EZ has some neat little knitted edges in KAlmanac, only 8 sts wide. (p. 78) I swatched them earlier, and thought they were nice. Can't wait to see your Pi in person.

10:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter