Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



18 May 2006

This Pi Stuff is Addictive

Yesterday morning while I was waiting for the grass to dry enough so I could mow it, I sat down and started another Pi doily. Yuh, just like that! I was surprised, too! I took two old ball-ends of size 30 crochet thread, foxed and spotted like an old book, and knitted them together on US size 1 needles.

My original intention was just to knit a quick swatch to see if I liked the combination of the needles and the thread. I have a lot (no, more than that, a LOT) of size 30 thread. If I can use it to knit with, I can have all sorts of fun combining colors and whites and ecrus of various shades.

The next thing I knew, I was out to the 72-stitch stage and leafing through my books for a lace pattern to put in the "knit 12 rows" round.

Then I did have to go outside and mow the grass. It took longer this time, and I did a quick lick & a promise at one section of the yard, but I mowed about 90% of it in an hour and a half. Then I had just enough time to shower before picking up our son at school.

As I drove to school, it started to rain again. Whew, got the mowing done just in time! So when we got home, I had a perfect excuse to stay inside and keep knitting. I finished the 12-row round and doubled to 144 stitches before bedtime. I think I could even go up to a size 2 needle on this and still be happy with the fabric I'm getting. And now, yes, I wish I had started with nice thread instead of the dregs of the stash!


I wish I had a decent camera for close-ups. The flowers are in my yard are coming out like fireworks. I have a beautiful range of columbine plants with blossoms in purple and white, solid purple, burgundy, pink, and watermelon-and-yellow Aquilegia canadensis. All except the Aquilegia canadensis are descendants of plants I dug up and transplanted when we moved here.

When we first moved here, there were iris rhizomes under a big spruce tree, in deep shade, that never bloomed. So I gradually moved them along the driveway where they had sunshine, and last year I finally gave away the last of the ones from under the spruce on the local Freecycle group. The ones along the driveway have been growing bigger leaf fans each year, and this year more and more are putting up blossom stalks.

My vegetable garden might not be much to speak of, but my spring flower garden is a place I enjoy every day!

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely work there! I took a fiber arts class in high school where we did various projects including working with the large looms. It was one of my favorite classes. Alas, I ended up working with metals and beads - jewelry design :)

Do show us the finished design!

5:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter