Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



10 October 2006

Catching Up

Saturday we went to Vineyard Raids III, and instead of netmaking, I taught basic fingerloop braiding, and did a discussion of knitting in the Society for Creative Anachronism. I am always very nervous when I volunteer to do something like this, but it went all right, and I didn't faint or anything. The apprehension before the class is worse than the class itself.

We had beautiful, cool, sunny October weather. And afterwards, I was surprised and delighted to become a member of the Order of the Salient Hart, the arts award of the barony of Andelcrag.

Sunday and Monday my son took over my computer. He and his dad both had Monday off for Columbus Day. I spent Monday quickly tatting a motif for the West Michigan Lace Group's medallion exchange, which I promptly forgot when I went out the door!

I apologize for this terrible picture. This is my fifth attempt, but this camera doesn't have a close-up mode -- at least not one that works to my satisfaction.

Fortunately I had put my proof-tatting attempt at this medallion in my little tatting box, so I put that one in the exchange.

We had a great show and tell session. One member brought things that had been made by her grandmother for her (the grandmother's hope chest), lacey things, embroidered things. And I got to see Tatt3r's lace pillow in person. Her Milanese sampler is so delicate "IRL", in real life, as my webhead brother might say.

I brought the Pi shawl, which has really slowed down now that I am at the 366-stitch stage. I've finished a repeat and a half of the lace pattern, and I guess-timate that about nine repeats will probably be long enough. The cone of yarn I bought at the fiber festival back in 2005 had about 1300 yards on it, so I think (knock on wood) I'll have enough!

Labels: , , , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Bells said...

the universe seems to be telling me to learn tatting. God I want to so much. Beautiful work!

2:14 AM  
Blogger Alwen said...

If you're a knitter, you will find tatting much slower.

I found the reverse, going from tatting to knitting: Holy cow! This knitting stuff grows like crazy. I have to needle down to sizes like 0000 to slow it down!

10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter