Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



04 December 2006

Blue Waffle Scarf Gets Longer


Technically, this is double knitting, but the two layers interlock at every pass, so it is not a tube scarf. It could be made on a double rake knitting frame, sometimes called a knitting board, but probably would need to be on a finer gauge one than the purple Knifty Knitter.

What this scarf has is "loft", or dead-air space, insulation space, in it. I could really have used it this morning: the temperature has fallen from about 20 degrees F. at 7am, to about 14 (-10 C.) at 10 am. Brrr! At 30 inches, it's only about half as long as I want it.

But if you want to see pretty double knitting, take a look at the Knitting Nurse's Double-Knit hat.

My husband could use a new hat . . . he should be so lucky.

And if you want complexity and color, how about Samurai Knitter's Ruana Thingie?

The Knitting Fiend has picked up where "You Knit What?" left off. Today's offering is a beaut. But old green-and-furry still has the prize, in my opinion.

We're waiting for a burst of lake-effect snow. The weather forecast is all dire again, "Snow accumulation of 6 to 10 inches can be expected by early Tuesday morning," but we never know if the snow bands will get us or not. (Lake-effect snow is when the wind blows across Lake Michigan, picks up floods of moisture as it goes over the lake, and drops it onshore as snow.)

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

It was pre-baby. That made all the difference. I'm going to start dating my life PB (pre baby) and PB (post baby).

Hey, wait a minute...

2:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter