Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



05 December 2006

Blue Waffle Scarf: Internal Structure

I draped the blue waffle scarf over my desk lamp (don't worry, it has a fluorescent twister bulb in it, so the scarf didn't burn up) and took a picture so you could see the structure better.

It looks like a microscope photo of plant cells to me. The "cells" are full of air. I just wish I could knit it fast enough to wear it yesterday.

I'm knitting it on US size 11 aluminum needles, and they are so heavy and awkward. I've tried my bamboo needles, and they are just too draggy on this yarn. I even transferred it to a scarf board (a double rake) that I got in an antique store, but the nails are too thin to make each stitch the right size. (The knitting board is much much faster, though!)

I think I typed out the stitch pattern before, but if not, here it is again:

Cast on a multiple of four stitches.
Knit each group of four as follows, passing the yarn between the tips of the needles after every stitch, as if you were knitting a K1-P1 rib or single moss stitch.

1. Knit one
2. Purl one
3. Slip one with yarn in back
4. Slip one with yarn in front

And now I suppose if I really want to get it done, I better go work on it!

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter