Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



10 May 2007

One of Those "Thousand-Word" Pictures

Now that's what I call a camera!

I went outside last night to fool around with the macro zoom function on my brand-new Fuji camera, and right now my best subject is my blooming columbine plants, Aquilegia spp.. The common name, columbine, comes from the Latin columba, dove. In this photo you can see one of the heads of the "doves" and its outspread wings.

(The scientific name, Aquilegia, comes from aquila, or eagle, from a supposed resemblance of the doves' heads to an eagle's talons. Eagles and doves in one flower.)

While I was out there, I heard a heavy buzz buzz and turned my head to see a hummingbird checking me out: "What IS this in my supper?" But I was too startled to take his picture!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Amy Lane said...

That's very cool...I still can't use my camera--kudos...

Hey--Julie sent me to you--I have a student who gave me a bunch of small scale (size 30) crochet cotton--she said you might have use for it...

If you want it, I'm at jagoUNDERSCOREjiAThotmailDOTcom...

12:07 AM  
Blogger tatt3r said...

Alwen, your new camera is awesome! I still haven't read the manual on mine, and there's some things I'd like to learn.

12:19 PM  
Blogger Gr8lakesgrrl said...

Wow, you can see the little hairs on the stem! Awesome!

Remember to take that when we go mushroom hunting! We are going mushroom hunting, aren't we? ;-)

5:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter