Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



22 May 2007

Pictures, Odds and Ends

I've been taking so many pictures, I don't have time to upload all the good ones! I have a lot of pictures I took on my walks that I have to go through and decide which to keep.

Here is a photo of a jack-in-the-pulpit, Arisaema triphyllum, that I took a week and a half ago. It is growing in the black, soft muck near the seep at the south end of our property. After it blooms, if it was pollinated, it will have red fruits on the blossom stem.

Water seeps back there through most of the year, but not with enough volume to really call it a spring. It's enough to create about a foot of black muck, though.

I don't know what kind of fern this is. My fern book is pretty basic. For wildflowers, birds, and butterflies, I have multiple field guides, but for ferns I have a little book that I can't seem to find.

I worked on the Sampler (C)M while I waited for my van yesterday (but forgot to take a picture), and afterwards I went to two thrift stores.

At the first one, I found three balls of Pingouin "Confortable" (Con with an N, not an M) for 99 cents total. These are 135-yard balls of washable wool/mohair/acrylic blend for 33 cents each.

I found nothing at the second store. All the yarn was bagged in $3 bags, and I didn't want to pay $3 for the one skein I wanted and four or five I didn't want.

This year's Pi bag has gone through two washes. In the photo it is purl side out. It started out thirteen inches wide, flattened, and fifteen and a half inches from the edge to the center circle. So far it's down to eleven inches wide and twelve inches long.

I washed it both times with a plastic bread wrapper threaded through the eyelets, but when I wash it again, I'll leave that out.

These two photos were taken from about the same spot on the path, looking west, at different times of day.

On the left, the open meadow on a sunny afternoon. The yellow is a yellow hawkweed, one of the Hieracium species, and the reddish bands are wild sorrel, Rumex acetosella.

On the right, the sky around half an hour before sunset.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger amy said...

lovely pictures, and how nice to have a jack-in-the-pulpit in your yard!

5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter