Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



17 May 2007

Thursday Quick Post

I have to take my Honda Odyssey in for an oil change, but before I leave, I thought I'd add, about Ajax:

Fortunately, like all my dogs, he is Mr. Mellow. I have never heard him growl except in play with Truffles. I have never heard him growl at a human. We had over a dozen people at the canton meeting last Friday, and all he did was happily wag up to them. The worst he's ever done is shed quantities of light-colored hair onto dark clothes.

He's a good boy, who sometimes suffers from separation anxiety.

Big dogs must be good dogs, because they have big teeth. Ever since he was a ten-pound pup, we have taught him never to put his teeth on people.

Sometimes tiny dogs miss out on this training, because, awww, it's so funny! so cute! when a puppy the size of a teacup attacks your hand! Har de har har. And I think that's why a little dog is more often a brat than a big dog.

Nope, in my house, I'm the dog boss, no matter what size the dog is. When I set up rules for dogs, they apply as if the dog was going to be the size of Ajax: no teeth on people. No growling over food. When I say, "Off!" the dog gets off whatever it is on, now.

And I guess I'm doing something right, because the comment I get over and over from vets and friends is, "Your dogs are always so mellow, so calm, so sociable." Well, they know where the limits are. The rules don't change overnight or minute to minute. "No!" is always no about the same things. The walls stay where they are, and holes don't suddenly appear in the floor (except for the basement trapdoor, which Ajax seriously mistrusts.)

The photo is Ajax at around six or seven months: awww, what a cute baby!

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Marguerite said...

What a cute puppy!

You're so right about the dog training and people with little dogs thinking it's OK if their dogs bite. Occasionally we get someone like that at doggy school. Usually the dog is running the entire household and the people are its servants.

We have three dogs and none of them think they're alpha dog. DH and I are the alpha dog. Peace reigns.

12:33 PM  
Blogger Bells said...

don't you just want to hug him???

5:17 AM  
Blogger Alwen said...

When Ajax first showed up at the bottom of our driveway, he weighed about 10 lbs.

Last time I measured him around the chest, that was a 36.5 inch (93 cm) hug!

2:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter