Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



23 May 2007

Sampler CM and Pi Bag

Sampler CM Pattern 7I finished pattern 7 of Sampler (C)M Monday while my Honda Odyssey was being fixed. (I finished pattern 6 last Thursday, same place, waiting for an oil change.)

Just in time, as pattern 8 is now out. I have gotten as far behind as six patterns when we were near the end of the original Sampler M, so I'm trying to keep up with the CM ones.

Here is the Pi bag after a third wash, now down to ten inches wide and ten and three-quarters long.

I am pretty happy with it at this size, especially since I was a little worried I had knitted it too big.

It has turned into a nice soft thick felt fabric. The only thing I might still do is wet the edge and bash it around so it doesn't ruffle. (It probably wouldn't have done that if I had left the plastic out of the eyelets during the second wash.)

That's the nice thing about knitting and felting -- I don't have to be too careful with it.

Q: How did you cast off for your Pi bag?

A: I purled around the edge for several rows so it would roll towards the inside of the bag, then I did a sewn cast off. That's the one in the back of Elizabeth Zimmermann's Knitter's Almanac called "Casting on casting-off".

I was going to add a photo of the Easter-egg-dyed tussah silk scarf that I worked on at our son's spring concert/talent show (which went much better than last year's). But Blogger has suddenly decided "no pictures!"

Last year I was too frazzled by trying to drag the child to the concert to bring knitting. This year he was calmer about the whole thing, so I brought the scarf and knitted through most of the songs. But I forgot my brand new camera!

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter