Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



22 August 2007

"502 server error"

You, me, and eleventy-thousand people on Blogspot.But I wasn't meaning to call us all sheep. These are some "as requested" photos. Above, a zoom & crop shot of the sheep in Saturday's photo, so you can better see that they are sheep and not tiny white blobs.

A close-up of the "stitches for purses" with a steel ruler for scale, inches on the top, centimeters on the bottom. (Yes, that is a needle with an eye that I am knitting the sample on.)

The back of No. 2, second from the bottom, is showing, because while I was talking to people at the Michigan Fiber Festival, I somehow managed to start that one on the purl side.

That's the disadvantage of doing demonstrations: "Mistakes are made."

After doing this for a bunch of years I've learned to work on something like a simple tatted edging, kept aside for demos, or like this knitted sampler, where mistakes aren't going to bring the very universe to its knees.

Today my post was late because Blogger was down. Yesterday I didn't post because I was reading.

"Not now, I'm reading," is an excuse often heard in our house.

The Laura Ingalls Wilder books are from the library. I'm much more interested now in the brief mentions of knitting: six yards of knitted lace! Stockings, mittens, white cotton lace. Towards the very end of the series, crochet is finally mentioned.

The AAUW had a book sale at the National Blueberry Festival back on the 10th and 11th of August, and I got there at the very very end, when they went from announcing "$1 a bag" to "two bags for $1" and "$1.50 a box".

The boxes were produce boxes. As long as I was filling a box, I took a Patrick McManus, all of the Andre Nortons I could find including ten that we didn't already have, a Gordon Dickinson or two, and four by Tanith Lee.

I mostly enjoyed this pair by Tanith Lee (which would probably be broken into a trilogy today) right up to the crappy ending. Then I was indignant. All that way, just to call the protagonist a rude name!

And I was knitting on this, trying one of the snowflake graphs Galina gave us.

I think it's going to be much more fun to knit in soft alpaca rather than harsh red-brown wool.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

love the zoom & crop -- playing 'sheep - rock - grass' is kinda fun tho. "Are those sheep?" "I can't tell from here" "Oh, they're eating grass, they must be sheep. Rocks don't eat grass."

9:33 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter