Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



25 August 2007

Sitting in the Dark with No Phone

Maybe you heard about thunderstorms in the Midwest US?

As of Thursday evening, we lost the electricity. Still out as of Saturday morning, and estimated restoration date is Sunday at "12pm".

(Is that noon or midnight? I can never remember.)

As of Friday evening, we lost landline telephone service. No idea when that might be restored.

I'm posting from an internet cafe, drinking expensive coffee and trying to figure out what to do with a freezer full of unthawing pizzas. We drank the mint chocolate chip ice cream for breakfast.

It's amazingly difficult to knit or read by candle or oil-candle light.

On the way to town, we saw many tree-service and electric company trucks. Lots of big trees down. Last I heard there were 240,000 customers without power since Wednesday.

I'll be back, but I'm not sure when. If you have hot water and flush toilets, you may now go count your blessings!

4 Comments:

Blogger amy said...

Oh, be safe and sound and back on track soon. I've seen some of the footage. Did I mention? Be safe.
xo

4:02 PM  
Blogger Bells said...

oh that's huge!! That's a lot of people in the dark. I'll watch out on the news. Take care.

5:05 PM  
Blogger Marguerite said...

We're scheduled for power at 11 pm on Sunday, but looking around the area at all the downed trees and downed lines, I have my doubts.

Meanwhile, we're hauling buckets of water in from the creek for flushing.

6:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Luck, I hope the weather has cooled for you. It broke here yesterday.
We went through that last year with the October Surprise Snowstorm (28 inches in 12 hours on trees that still had leaves). We were without power for 6 days.
We used a lot of our SCA camping gear.
We learned we went to bed a lot earlier when we didn't have good light to read and do stuff after it gets dark and we still wnet through lots of candles.

8:27 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter