Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



03 October 2007

Hang On Tight!

It's gonna be a rough ride!

I'm in full-on prima diva mode at the moment, in preparation for the double knitting class I'll be giving tonight.

There will be tantrums. There will be histrionics. There will be meltdowns.

Shrieking at the understudy, throwing shoes, sobbing that I can't go on, hunting desperately for things I absolutely need [like an understudy?] . . . I'm telling you, it's not pretty around here right now.

I know, a 100% introvert giving classes? Seems kind of paradoxical, doesn't it? A common misconception about introverts is that we just need to get over being shy.

On the other hand, a lot of people I know through my various fiber interests would be incredulous if I told them I was an introvert -- I speak up, I smile, I crack jokes -- how could I be an introvert?

I like this short definition best: an introvert is someone who is recharged by being alone.

Articles about introverts are easy to find with Google:

Introverts in an Extrovert's World


Caring for Your Introvert

and an interview with the author of Caring for Your Introvert.

Tonight. Herrick main library in Holland, Michigan, downstairs auditorium. I'll be the one in the "Introvert" shirt.

And now, if you'll excuse me, I need to go off and have me some hysterics.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger amy said...

Me, too, on the introvert--being recharged by being alone. (Another reason holidays are so stressful for me.) Yet I have done loads of educational programs for jobs and such... just, then I need time alone. Unfortunately for me, I am raising a couple of extroverts, by which I mean, they recharge from other people. Mainly me. It can be a very difficult situation, and when we are stuck in the house due to colds or weather or whatever for days on end, it's just....horrible.

Good luck tonight! I bet it'll be great.

1:35 PM  
Blogger Marguerite said...

I love taking classes from introverts. They prepare ahead of time, they're organized, and they stick to the topic.

You'll be great. Enjoy.

2:23 PM  
Blogger Georgie said...

As a fellow introvert who has to very often stand up in front of others and sound coherent I totally sympathise. I'm also sure you'll be brilliant, so good luck!

12:24 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I think the people in my life would find it strange that I think of myself as an Introvert. Although I like people, and even like to be around them most of the time, I want it to be on my terms. I like my alone time. I can talk to small groups of folks just fine but I turn red and my heart goes crazy and I become a flibbertygibbet in from of large groups. So, guess who is teaching Crisis Management to the staff in my building?

9:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post. I've promptly sent the links to my husband (the extreme extrovert) - whom for years has "accused" me of being anti-social....
And I see you "survived" your class - see, no need to worry!

6:55 PM  
Blogger KSee said...

you just said what I did not know to be. Oh, how true the short version is. Thank you.

10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter