Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



29 September 2007

Meme: 7 Things About Yourself

"I'm feeling better!" [she croaked in the voice of the old man on the cart in Monty Python and the Holy Grail].

Well enough to do a meme, anyway. I'll consider myself tagged by CoffeeLady/Kaffekjerringa, who says the rules are:

1. Link back to the ones that tagged you.
2. Tell 7 things about yourself, something weird, something fun.
3. Tag 7 blogger friends.
4. Leave a message on their blog to let them know they are tagged.

(Are you reading this? Tag! You're it!)

1. I eat toast without butter almost every morning.

2. I love ginger beer. I used to love Vernor's, but now my favorite is Stewart's.

3. I think I have more teapots than pairs of shoes.

4. I have a lot more thread/yarn/fiber than I have teapots!

5. I firmly believe myself to be the co-discoverer (with my husband) of *"soul lag". (We came up with the phrase in the early 90's, well before William Gibson's Pattern Recognition was published. It was probably one of those Jungian archetypical things that pops up spontaneously in many heads -- I've seen this happen in the virtual origami world, in tatting, and now in knitting.)

6. Not only do I pick things up with my toes, I've been known to turn light switches on and off with them, too. (One reason why FlyLady and I disagree on the subject of wearing shoes.) One day I'll knit tabi-style socks so my toe-thumbs are free.

7. I am told it is hard to tell when I am writing tongue in cheek, and when I am not.

*******************

*Soul lag: While modern transportation can carry our bodies at jet speed, the human soul can only go as fast as the human body can move itself (about 15 miles per hour in short bursts). Even at highway speed, the soul gets left behind. That's why when we drive for hours to get to Grama's for Thanksgiving, we arrive feeling hollow: we are soul-lagged while we wait for our souls to catch up. Jet lag is the extreme form of soul lag.

1 Comments:

Blogger TinkingBell said...

I'm a great fan of Terry Pratchett myself - and I don't understand why they need American editions of anyone!! After all - they don't do British editions or Australian editions of american books!! How patronising of the editorial staff! - All the american's I've met in person or via blogs are intelligent interesting and persons of impeccable taste! (I haven't met any politicians!) Re the shoes - have you tried ebay for birkenstocks (my gorgeous cats were those!) I love your knitting looms - what a great thing (maybe you need to charge more for your artisanal labour!

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter