Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



12 September 2007

The Big 5-0-0

Yep, this is it: my 500th post to this blog. What a chatterbox, eh? Although it did take me nearly two years to hit 500.

And I got nothin'! But I swear, I will do a drawing for something lost-art-y: a netted bag? a fistful of fingerloop braids? a linen lace-knitted bookmark in a pattern from one of the Ladies' Knitting and Netting Books?

[Edited to add: I'm working on a black netted bag -- scroll down to the bottom for a pic. This will be a cylinder/tin can style bag, probably with fingerloop braid drawstrings.]

Drawing Details

Leave a comment on this post through which I can contact you. I'll take comments until Sunday, 16 September 2007. (After that, you can still comment but won't go in the drawing.) Monday I'll print out names & have my son randomly draw one (or maybe two).

I love to see where people are, so please tell me that, too. (One of my best friends lives in Michigan, but her ISP registers as coming out of Chicago. Gotta love the internet.) Brownie points if you put a link to a local webcam in there.

Recursive Blog Post

Otherwise known as "blogging about blogging".

I've been told for far too many years, "You're so good at writing -- you should write for publication." Yuck. I love to write stuff down, and hey! look! I know two-dollar words like "recursive", but I hate trying to write something that's going to be published.

I usually hash it over until it's a complete mish-mash in my head and I can't stand to look at it any more. Blogging, I don't overthink, re-write, or do much more than correct spelling. It's perrrrfect.

One of the most popular posts on this blog after the main page is "How to spiral-cut a t-shirt". Who would have guessed so many people wanted to cut up their clothes?

Another one is my frame-knitting translation of the "Old Shale" pattern. One of the first things I started to figure out on a knitting frame was how to knit lace patterns.

(And guess what, Orenburg patterns are super-easy on a knitting frame, because the increase/decrease pairs are all right next to each other!)

I haven't always been a lace knitter. This little piece of knitting could be described as "A knitter's progress."

I must have started it around 2004, using some old foxed thread. I was just scribbling with thread, trying to understand what was going on in lace knitting.

When I'm trying to learn something new, usually I just bash my head into it over and over until my hands (which are much smarter than I am, and basically pull me through life) figure it out, take over, and do it. Then my head just sits back and lets the hands drive, and sort of looks out the windows at the pretty scenery.

At the left, you can see several inches of slowly-less-random holes. Then a couple of repeats of one of the leaf patterns in Mary Thomas's Book of Knitting Patterns. A couple of different hearts from one of Marianne Kinzel's Modern Lace Knitting books, I think the first one. That must have been after I got it for Christmas in 2005.

Then the last section, which I've posted close-ups of recently: "Stitches for Purses" and two leaf patterns from The Ladies' Knitting and Netting Book: First Series

And now, the washer is fixed, which means I better go use it!

Labels: ,

16 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

There is a handy list of all the web cams in South Carolina found here:
http://www.sciway.net/ccr/webcams.html

The one claiming to be Downtown Charleston is in fact a nice shot of our new bridge across the Cooper River. I suggest trying Edisto Beach or Pawley's Island cams, or the surf cams.

And I of course am in North Charleston, that giant truck stop on the way to the nice (and expensive) parts of the city.

11:01 AM  
Blogger Becky Dempsey said...

Congratulations on reaching 500 posts! I like the hearts in the "knitter's progress" piece! I don't think Greenville has any webcams! And the ones in Grand Rapids wouldn't be too exciting since it is in your area!

11:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your achievement! I didn't think we'd have a webcam here in Cape Town, South Africa, but it turns out that we do!

http://www.kapstadt.de/lifecam.htm

Please note that we're usually about 6-8 hours ahead of the USA, so I hope you don't get stuck watching darkness, hehe.

Once again, congrats on the 500 posts!

1:35 PM  
Blogger Marguerite said...

Congrats on the 500. That's a lot of blogging.

I live in Almena Township in VanBuren County. How close is that to you?

Here a South Haven North Beach Lake Michigan webcam. It's about 30 miles west of where I live. The beach looks empty today. Brrrrr.

http://www.mlive.com/beachcam/

2:15 PM  
Blogger Niki said...

Congrats on your 500'th post!!! woohoo, heres to a splendid 500+ many many more!!!

2:41 PM  
Blogger Rita said...

Congratulations on 500 posts. I think it will take me longer than 2 years. If there are any interesting webcams in Springfield, Massachusetts, I don't know where they are and am too busy to go looking. I have a net bag that is needing some attention, claims it needs to have a handle completed.

3:32 PM  
Blogger Georgie said...

Congratulations on 500 posts!

Here's one of our Canberra, Australia, webcams, with several different views of local landmarks:

http://www.actewagl.com.au/webcam.aspx

6:31 PM  
Blogger Bells said...

Here's a Canberra webcam!

http://www.actewagl.com.au/webcam.aspx

500 posts is a great lot of writing. Clearly it agrees with you more than writing for publication. I'm with you on that.

7:42 PM  
Blogger Bells said...

oh I should have checked. My mate George left the same link! ha ha ha

7:43 PM  
Blogger ikkinlala said...

Congratulations on your 500th post!

I'm from BC, Canada - I don't have a local webcam to share.

8:15 PM  
Blogger Abril said...

Congratulations! I've been blogging for a year and haven't hit 100 yet. Here's a link to a Minneapolis Webcam
http://www.earthcam.com/usa/minnesota/minneapolis

9:17 PM  
Blogger Gr8lakesgrrl said...

But but, Becky! Maybe Sharon in Cape Town wants to see what Greenville looks like!

Well, I'll bite, you know where I am, and it's not Chicago, (although Earthlink does have a hub there so I could be masquerading as a Chicagolander!)

Here's a link to the web cams at WZZM, the Walker cam is less then 5 miles from me! http://www.wzzm13.com/webcams.aspx

1:07 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Congrats on the big 500! I hope I'll reach that someday. I just jumped over from Knitty, now off to read some of those 500!!! Oh, and I am from Rockville CT. No webcam in my town, but here is a really dull one from a small nearby town!

http://members.cox.net/near/StaffordCt/SSCt-Fountain-StaticWebCamImage.htm

2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on hitting 500. I will have to do some research and see if I can find you a webcam of Niagara Falls. I live in Amherst which is near both Buffal and Niagara Falls.

2:54 PM  
Blogger psammeadred said...

Congratulations on your 500th post! I hope to make it there someday.

I'm from Oklahoma City, and here's a webcam I found of someone's backyard birdfeeders in OKC!
http://www.backyardbirdcam.com/

7:58 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Congratulations on your 500th post.

I am a Fellow Flyer (Wink) from Metro Detroit who loves your knitting adventures.

Here are a couple of interesting web cams in the detroit area:
This one is of the Detroit River.
http://www.detroithistorical.org/webcam/default.htm
This one is of Down Town Detroit.
http://www.earthcam.com/usa/michigan/detroit/dsc/

Blessings
Paula Lynn
Dearborn Heights (metro detroit))

11:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter