Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



27 September 2007

Still Life with Crabby Rants

Book Rant

"American" editions of books, like Terry Pratchett's "Bromeliad" trilogy.
Was it really an improvement to change Granny Morkie's, "Cheek!" to "Cheeky!" ?
Or to change Cut-Me-Own-Throat Dibbler's infamous sausage-inna-bun into a hot dog?

A) I'm insulted by the assumption that I can't figure out what the author meant in the original version from the context.

B) Hello! This is the 21st century. I have friends all over the world online who I can email and ask if I really can't figure it out.

C) Just imagine Dickens bowdlerized into American English. Ow. The very thought makes my brain hurt.

Shoe Rant

Bells, Tinkingbell, Samurai Knitter, Sheepish Annie and RoseRed all have been doing shoe posts lately. Cute shoes, kid shoes, comfy shoes. Argh.

[photo: my lovely grass-mowing shoes]

I'm shoe-challenged, myself. What usually happens when I shop for shoes is that I start at one end of the aisle, in the midst of cute shoes in a variety of colors, and as I walk toward my size, the cuteness dwindles, the colors fade, and by the time I get to my size and width, I am looking at:

One Pair of Tan Boats, Oars Optional.

*sigh*

Cold Rant

I'm feeling better. I actually knitted one row of spiral ribbing on my SuperSocke socks yesterday. (I realized how energy-zapping this particular cold was Sunday when I couldn't find the energy to read. Me, not read? [checks for pulse] )

I'm at the stage where you feel better but sound horrible (read: gluey consumptive-sounding cough), so people look at you sidelong in stores and edge away, wondering if there is something preventative they could take.

And if it could possibly be strong enough.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger KnittingJenny said...

I love your blog. I think it's great that you keep up these "lost arts"....unfortunately I only hand-knit, but I've been wanting to learn to make lace with all the bobbins. Oh, I do spin and hope one day to have sheep. I guess that's kind of a lost art.....by the way, I too am insulted when I see different American and British versions of the same book. Like, is it really necessary to change Harry Potter for the American reader? I think not......anyway, take care, and happy crafting.

2:34 PM  
Blogger Julie said...

Ravelry Groups has got an Ankh-Morpork Knitting Guild. Dude. They need you.

Nice shoes. I've been debating about posting a pair or two of my useful ones...

3:31 PM  
Blogger Sheepish Annie said...

I'm with you. Pratchett is a brilliant writer and the text is so much wittier in the original form!

I'm also with you on the cold thing...the doc finally gave me some of my favorite beverage, I mean cough syrup, and I am finally able to lie down without risking the expulsion of a lung. I might even get to sleep tonight!

I weep for your shoe dilemma...I do love a good shoe hunt!

11:00 PM  
Blogger Bells said...

Australian author Nick Earls tells the story of how his American publisher said to him that it was confusing that Christmas was set in summer in his book, and could he change it so that Christmas was in winter instead.

Groan. Confusing for who? The publishers, obviously.

9:11 AM  
Blogger catsmum said...

and did 'HP and the Philosopher's Stone' really have to be americanized to Sorcerer because the publisher didn't think american kids could understand what a philosopher is?
oh I see Knittingjenny has kind of already made that point... oh well... I'm making it again :]

7:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter