Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



15 November 2007

Windy with Proto-Incipient Fish

It was a little windy out on Lake Michigan at the Muskegon breakwater this morning. This image comes from GLERL, the Great Lakes Environmental Research Laboratory.

We still don't know what the problem was with our ISP yesterday. I uploaded the Fraggle chicken, my blog profile photo, to Blogger.

We couldn't get email (in or out) until yesterday evening, and I got at least one identical message twice. But there is still nothing on their web page to say what the problem was, say they're sorry, or anything. And since they weren't answering their phone, we couldn't even ask.

I didn't knit anything yesterday, but I did wake up with an idea for a knitted fish: the tail is one of those lace patterns that draws up in the middle and droops into fishy tail-points at either edge. The base of the tail narrows and turns into a tube, then increases to a larger tube. The fins on the back and belly are flat while the body continues round -- some tricky double-knitting there, I think. I'm not sure if the eye is a bead or an eyelet. It depends on whether the fish comes out more lacy or more texture-y.

Bells, we're getting some snow, but it's not sticking, and the little snow pellets don't show up very well in the picture. Think gray, leafless, and chilly, and you'll have my weather.

Speaking of which, I seem to have let the fire die down a bit, so I need to go tend it and make it stay warm enough in here to knit!

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Marguerite said...

What a title. :-)

Glad you're back online.

In my computer days we had many a system down where we had to choose - answer the phone or fix the problem.

1:45 PM  
Blogger amy said...

it's all grey and rainy here. yuck. I hate November, I really do.

I like your fraggle, though.

1:58 PM  
Blogger TinkingBell said...

Hurrah - so glad you're back (beautiful day here - sunny, slight breeze - 21 deg C - need some rain though!

5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter