Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



05 November 2007

Mitten, Mitten, Mitten Weather

Almost to the tippy finger-ends of the double-knitted mittens! If I get any knitting time in today, I should finish them and be able to start grafting.

Just in time for mitten weather in the Mitten state:

TODAY
Breezy. Scattered rain showers until midday...then numerous rain showers in the afternoon. Highs in the lower 50s. Temperature steady or slowly falling in the afternoon. West winds 15 to 25 mph. Gusts up to 40 mph in the afternoon. Chance of rain 60 percent.

TONIGHT
Windy. Numerous rain showers. Occasional snow showers through the night. Occasional rain showers overnight. Snow accumulation an inch or less. Lows in the mid 30s. Northwest winds 20 to 30 mph with gusts to around 49 mph. Chance of precipitation 80 percent.

WIND ADVISORY TODAY AND TONIGHT
A strong fall low pressure system will sweep through the northern Great Lakes today pushing a cold front through southwest lower Michigan this morning. Winds will sharply increase in the afternoon and remain strong into tonight. Gusty west winds of 20 to 30 mph will also have gusts to as high as 50 mph at times.

Motorists with high profile vehicles traveling on north-south highways such as-US-131...US-31...and US-27 should be extra cautious since a very strong cross wind is expected. A wind advisory means that winds could be sustained over 30 mph or that gusts of 45 to 57 mph could occur. Winds this strong can make driving difficult...especially for high profile vehicles. Use extra caution.

50 mph, wa-hoo! That's what I call the gales of November!

The internet is endlessly entertaining for those of us who love satellite weather data. This one is the GOES Eastern US SECTOR Water Vapor Image from the NOAA Satellite and Information Service.

Let's see, what else was I going to say before it got blown clean out of my head?

Oh! No, our son never did wear that little jacket. It was one of those sizes that he went through in about ten minutes, still much too big one week and then too small and tight the next.

The other thing I was thinking about was that being in the Society for Creative Anachronism, I really appreciate a lot of the flat-out luxuries of modern life: clean drinkable running water. In my house. Hot water at the turn of a tap. Coffee and chocolate and a myriad of spices. Literacy. Access to more books than even existed in the world in the 11th century. Soap. :) Music -- just think, it used to be only royalty who could afford to hire musicians to hang around and play so they had music in the background.

Humans can get used to anything. I try to remember and appreciate that the conditions I'm used to are so luxurious, they are still a fantasy for many people living today.

Labels: , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger amy said...

I feel that way, too. The things we take for granted and even complain about are so out of reach for most of the world, really.

2:22 PM  
Blogger TinkingBell said...

Yup - done the doing without thing - and the have to light a fire in the combustion stove to get warm/have warm water and cook thing/ and the struggling to read by candlelight/lantern light stuff (good for fun, not so fun for a way of life) - give my light and water at the flick of a switch!

7:44 PM  
Blogger Olivia said...

I agree. It makes me very uncomfortable to know that the majority of the world can't get anywhere near our (western, middle class) living standard. It makes me wonder how the world is going to change in my lifetime.

Sadly, not as uncomfortable as no running water and electricity would make me, though.

6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter