Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



06 November 2007

Curse You Stupid Darkness!

Me and Lucy Van Pelt.

This was going to be a post about how grateful I was that I was too cheap to be scammed.

Yesterday I fell for a phone scam where some guy calls up and tells you he's a police dispatcher and needs you to call this number to talk to an officer at the scene of a fatal accident. Supposedly they got my number from the cell phone of the person in the accident.

"This number" is a *72 phone command that forwards your phone to another number, and as soon as you do that, the idea is that they start using your forwarded phone number to make calls to goodness knows where, which unlucky you get to pay for.

Fortunately for me, we're too cheap to pay for call forwarding, so it couldn't work. It just rang through to that "Your call cannot be completed as dialed: please hang up and try again" error message. I was feeling really grateful to be cheap, as soon as I figured this all out with the help of Snopes.

And then I was going to go on about mittens and weather where the rain or snow or rain or snow (whichever it is just now) blows straight sideways at 20 or 30 miles an hour and never bothers to actually land.

Instead, first I had a kid home with a mild cold.

Then I got a call from my husband at work: this time he didn't hit a deer in the dark and the lashing rain on the way to work. Instead he hit: a tree. Okay, it was a fallen tree that blocked the road completely from side to side. And he did brake before he hit it. And it was punky and rotten. And I'm certainly grateful he's okay.

The car, however, with only a payment or two left, is going to need some repairs.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Lucia said...

It sucks to drive home in the dark, even if you don't hit a tree. May your mechanic be merciful.

Thanks for the heads-up on that phone scam: we don't have forwarding either, but a reminder not to believe stuff like that is always good.

11:28 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

Sounds like you all got some fall/winter there. We are still trying to decide if it's really going to be fall or if we will go right into winter. I love the mittens. Is it hard to do? I tried looking up double knitting on the internet and got some interesting directions. I would love some nice warm mittens to keep my poor arthritic fingers warm.

2:54 PM  
Blogger tatt3r said...

Your mittens look great, just in time for bad weather! Thanks for the heads up on the phone scam, I don't know if I would have fallen for it, but I'll look out for it now.

4:01 PM  
Blogger TinkingBell said...

You poor thing - I got caught in the ebay scam - (I bought something from you and and where is it?) and almost got caught by the paypal scam (we have noticed unauthorised activity - click here!) So sorry about the car - sucks - but hitting a wombat is pretty bad too!

8:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter