Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



17 April 2008

Command Performance

So I'm reading the Tsarina's blog, and she mentions overdyeing Lion Brand Magic Stripes yarn.

I did not mean to dye any yarn today. "Dye yarn" was nowhere on any of my Hipster PDA cards. "Dogs need heartwormer" and "Place van ad" were: "Dye yarn" was not.

But somehow, when I went to the kitchen for lunch, I found myself with Paas Easter egg dye tabs and some Lion Brand sock yarn that I bought back when I first re-started knitting on needles.

Instead of nuking lunch, I was nuking bowls of bright pink and purple and green dye.

Boy. Does Lion Brand Magic Stripes ever suck up the dye. sluuuuurrrp, like a kid sucking in spaghetti. It was amazing. First it slurped up all the liquid. Then when I squeezed it, it kept all the dye. Just like that.

I commented on the Tsarina's blog, "Now look what you made me do!" and she replied, "Pictures or it didn't happen!"

Top: formerly "Purple Pattern". Bottom: formerly "Sea Blue Pattern".

Even brighter in person than on the screen.

[Edited to add: I didn't realize Lion Brand had discontinued Magic Stripes. Yarndex still shows the original colors of the two skeins above >here< in Shade Card 1.]

[PS: No, I didn't notice any earthquake early this morning. But maybe that's why Ajax was whiskering me in the face before my alarm went off.]

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger roxie said...

Spontaneous colorbustion! What fun. They look really wonderful.

9:06 AM  
Blogger Bells said...

oh! Over dyeing! I've been looking into this this week! What fun.

What did they look like before?

9:37 AM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Good for you! Isn't it great when fiber just jumps out and makes you play with it?

You guys felt the earthquake, too? My SIL just wrote to me about it from Cincinnati. And here I thought we had the corner on that market...

11:51 AM  
Blogger Tsarina of Tsocks said...

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

I'm not even sorry. Especially after seeing the results. Those are lovely!

8:17 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

To do lists are great, but so is spontaneous fun. The colors came out great. I heard that Lion Brand has come out with a new acrylic blend sock yarn. The yarn harlot was working with it and really liked it. I haven't seen it anywhere yet.

4:28 PM  
Blogger TinkingBell said...

Cool!!

Funny how they sneaked into the microwave and displaced lunch, isn't it!

10:27 PM  
Blogger Lynne said...

Pretty stuff, and a considerable improvement over the original colors, IMNSHO. Amazing how the stuff turning over in the back of your mind will take over before you realize it...

7:22 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter