Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



12 May 2008

I Need a Goat Lady

We had a second school field trip last Friday. Less driving, no pictures. No blog post.

I was happy to just stay home this weekend. No demos, no big errands except grocery-shopping in the rain.
Sunday we had a beautiful, gentle, soft rain that just kept coming down. Leaves expanded like mad overnight. Newly-mown grass redoubled its height. I need a goat lady, as seen on Rose-Kim Knits, so I can tether goats on my walking path!

Five days ago, I could look down on the hops vines climbing their strings to shade our west windows. Today I have to look up! The vines on one string will be up to the roof in a day or so.

I've been knitting, garage/estate-sale-ing, reading and staring into space. Usually that means the part of my head that comes up with things is germinating something. It hasn't let the rest of me know what the "something" is yet.

Saturday I went to a sale. The ad listed knitting, so of course I had to go. The needles were all either plastic single-points or bamboo double-points, and I didn't find any yarn, just some thread in a box of other things marked "All $2".

I wasn't interested in the other contents of the box, so after casing the whole sale I went back to it and said to the woman running it that I was only interested in the thread.

She said diffidently, "Fifty cents?" which I handed her immediately. (I probably would have given her the $2 and left everything but the thread.)

A dozen 100-yard balls of DMC size 8 perle cotton in silvery gray, lavender, dark green, dark blue, and baby pastels.

And tonight I'm off to probably buy more thread at our West Michigan Lace Group meeting: Kathy Kirchner's trunk show at the Hampton Inn, 500 Center Dr NW, Grand Rapids, MI 49544, open by 4PM. Ask in the lobby and the receptionist will direct you to the room the show is in.

Our meeting is from 7pm to 8:30pm, and you are welcome either to shop or join us at the meeting or both!

If you prefer pictures, my 2006 purchases are here, and the 2007 ones are here.

Labels: , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

It sounds like you had a relaxing weekend -- and what a great garage sale find! I can't wait to see what you do with the thread :)

4:07 PM  
Blogger TinkingBell said...

Great weekend - gorgeous spring photos!

11:25 PM  
Blogger roxie said...

Estate sale perle cotton? SCORE!!! I love estate sales for knitting goods. And I'm always o the look-out for Susan Bates all nylon circular needles - all sizes and lengths. They're my favorite needles! If you find any, and can bear to part with them, I will re-imburse you for cost and postage and tuck in a surprise gift as well.

9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter