Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



05 May 2008

A Little Quiet Around Here

I know it's been a little quiet around the blog this past month or so.

That's partly because it's spring! And when the blackflies let me, I've been spending as much time as possible outdoors.

I was also getting things ready for our Society for Creative Anachronism demo table at Holland, Michigan's Tulip Time festival: borrowing a chain mail shirt from my brother, designing a handout, getting photocopies, and basically running around on lots of adrenaline.

Saturday started out cool, windy, and sunny. We had a table at "Kinderplaats," a big area where for $5, kids could do any of the activities in the area. They had everything from a puppet theater to miniature ponies to the bounceables, costumed dancers, games, and a trained dog act.

And horses that danced. The horse in the foreground was as calm as a police horse in the face of little kids, a fire engine siren, and flapping balloons.

Our fun thing to do was to put the chain mail shirt, weighing about 20 pounds (~9 kilos), on any of the kids who were big enough (and some who probably weren't!)

It was funny how many tiny little girls wanted to try it on, when some of the boys wouldn't.

Saturday was the same day as the Andelcrag Baronial Althing, where the Baronial Champion is chosen. That meant most of the SCA members who would have been available to help were either working, fighting, or attending the Althing.

Saturday also had weather that went from sunny in the morning, to colder and windier, to steady rain at 3pm. After shivering in the chilly wind for a couple of hours, when it started to rain I'll admit I was grateful to load everything up and sit in my warm car.

I waited (and warmed back up) for about half an hour, but the rain got heavier little by little. The puppet show (Greg Lester's Puppet Adventures) went on in the rain.

The rain continued into the evening, but Sunday was sunny and warmer, and boy was it nice not to freeze! I also had more help at the table, but forgot I had my camera and could take pictures.

After picking the 20-pound chain mail shirt up over and over to put it over kids' heads (did I mention it weighs 20 lbs?) for two days in a row, I was pretty tired by the end of the day. In fact, when I got home, I sat down to listen to the radio, and the next thing I knew, I was waking up.

I slept very well Sunday night! Now, if I can just get Blogger to accept this post . . .

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger amy said...

This weather has been maddening. Saturday it was overcast and chilly here. We took the kids to an outdoors event and I nearly froze! Silly me, I had more or less dressed for early May (which, sadly, meant long pants, two shirts, plus a heavy windbreaker) and I was still cold.

It sounds like you had an interesting weekend, despite the rain!

2:16 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

I'm sorry the weather came along and messed with your weekend! The SCA event sounds like it was great fun, though, if a bit hard on the arms (20 lbs, my goodness!)(btw, my two girls would have been under that chain mail in an instant). I hope spring comes back quickly.

5:47 PM  
Blogger TinkingBell said...

Such a busy day - you must have been exhausted!! Our is currently like that - sunny/frosty/rainy/cold/sunny/cloudy/rainy and on and on - I wish it would just make up its damn mind!

9:25 PM  
Blogger Bells said...

No photos of you or kids in chainmail? For shame Alwen!

3:52 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

The SCA folk I have met up here in the Three Mountains kingdom will spend $700 on a dagger, and blanch at $300 for a hand-spun, hand-woven, hand sewn wool coat. They can get polyester ever so much cheaper . . .

9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter