Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



23 May 2008

Niebling Kneecap

This is one-eighth of a Niebling lace pattern called "Magnolie" knitted in grubby garden string, the kind of thing you use to mark rows or let pea vines climb, and Susan Bates Quicksilver US size 1 (2.25 mm) needles.

(And when I say "grubby", I mean I bought the cone with dark oily stains on the bottom out of a dusty, cobwebby garden shed.)

Herbert Niebling designs have eaten my brain. I want them all, even if they take the rest of my life to knit. They've introduced me to the wonderful hex mesh ground. Look at all the possible angles!

(I'll be lucky if my husband doesn't see this - with his many Squad Leader game boards, he'd probably want a hex scarf. Knitted in camo colors.)

Oh, no! A Niebling doily called "Fantasie d'Automne". Eight plump juicy pears on hex mesh ground.

I'm doomed.

Labels:

2 Comments:

Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Ooh, that is gorgeous! How big will it be when it's all grown up?

4:11 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

That pattern makes the grubby string look good. Now I am off to look up Niebling patterns.

9:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter