Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



21 May 2008

Life as a Celebration of Ephemeral Things

One day you're in snow up to your belly, the next day you're running in the sun.

I had a little scare with Ajax last week. He's never had a problem with his hips, for which I am extremely grateful. He's such a big dog.

But last week, after a happy day of snake-hunting, I patted his rump as I let him in the door, and he yiped and then cried pitifully. Oh, dear!

He was up for a vet visit anyway, only the vet was booked up until this Friday. Fortunately after about a day and a half of occasional yiping and obvious discomfort, I could see he was getting better. I think he probably tangled his feet up in the dead branches out in the fenced yard and hurt himself somehow.

He'll be 8 in November. The painful thing about life with pets is that it ends. Every day, even days when he is very very naughty, I try to remember to enjoy his companionship.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger amy said...

Our "original" cat is nine this month. We adopted him as a kitten the May before we got married. He's helped incubate all the children--before I even begin to show, he has this need to nestle up against my stomach. Whenever one of them cries, he comes trotting along to rub up against him (and me, if I'm upset, too). He didn't like children before we had ours, and he still doesn't really care for other kids. But he's never laid a paw on ours, no matter how they torment him when I'm not looking. He's starting to look more grey around the mouth, which makes me a little sad. He's a good cat.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Oh, yes, definitely do! Poor Kia seems to have hurt her front paw, although I can't imagine how. She started off our walk yesterday just find, but by the end, she was really lagging and limping (and it was a short walk!). I took only Tilly with me this morning to the trail, which broke my heart (I hate leaving Kia behind, especially if we're going to a trail!). Kia's 13 now. I treasure every single walk we get together... I'm glad your baby's feeling better!!

5:12 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I have a cat that managed to fall and not land on his feet. Well, he did land on them but landed wrong and broke his leg and dislocated his ankle. He spent 6 weeks in a cast and managed to run around like a mad thing anyway. He's such a klutz. But they worm into your heart and take up residence there.

7:46 PM  
Blogger Charlene said...

I love Ajax....how sweet is he!!! He's such a big boy. I'm glad to hear that his hind end is getting better. Every once in awhile I'll catch myself laughing out loud sitting alone catching up with reading blogs. Yours had me laughing with your posting: "Bad Dog!" Story and Mitten progress. Hopefully Ajax didn't get too sick from the chocolate, but the mint breath must have been nice! lol

11:44 AM  
Blogger Rose Red said...

Love those contrast photos. I couldn't imagine a world without our four-legged friends.

8:56 PM  
Blogger Bells said...

I love the pairing of those two photos. Spectacular!

2:52 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

What a face! Those eyes say so much! Glad he is feeling a bit better.

8:50 PM  
Blogger catsmum said...

yes you're right - it hurts to watch them age and know that we won't have them for very much longer [ Oakley is 13 this year ] but think how much poorer our lives would be without them.
I'll have to remember this post the next time we're having a bad cat day

11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter