Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



05 November 2009

"Lilac Time" and Four O'Clocks

Since my KnitPicks 47-inch circular needles came in the mail, I've been knitting, knitting, knitting. First I knitted the stargate off the 29-inch needles onto the 47-inch ones. Now I can stretch the pattern out a bit so about half of one end shows. (I still can't get a decent picture of these colors, though.)

Then I knitted the string one off a dozen double-pointed needles and onto my 29-inch Susan Bates Silverado circulars. (I can't believe they discontinued these - they are great needles!)

I am three rows into chart C of Marianne Kinzel's "Lilac Time", and you can just start to see the very bottom of the next round of leaves.

The weather was so rainy in October that I never got to dig up my four o'clocks, and they got hit with a frost that made the stems fall off. (They break apart at the joints and at the root.) It was a little harder to find the roots, but today it was sunny and dry and I dug them up. I think I got most of them.They don't look like much, do they? I planted a couple where my rose bush had been, and the hummingbirds loved that. Those three roots really increased in size.

Now I have to go out before it gets too chilly and rub the sand off them so I can put them away for winter. All I do is keep them over the winter is leave them in an open plastic bag, sitting on the cool concrete floor at the far end of the house from the warm woodstove. In the spring when they start to put out shoots (color coded as to flower: pinkish shoots = pink/rose flowers, green shoots = white flowers) I'll plant them out again.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Gr8lakesgrrl said...

Cool! Are your 4 o'clocks in a really sunny location? I planted some seeds this year, but I'm afraid it was too shady and they didn't do anything.

3:31 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Isn't it amazing that roots can do that? It gives me a lot of hope, sometimes :) The lace knitting is gorgeous!

6:39 PM  
Blogger roxie said...

The lace is just stunning! You knock my socks off.

The four-o-clock roots are neat. bulbs, roots, rhizomes, all these subterranean methods for surviving the winter and propagating the species! Nature is neat.

9:44 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

The lace looks beautiful. And yes, it was a WET october. We were just commenting on that. I don't remember such a wet summer/early fall.

11:32 AM  
Blogger Lucia said...

Your stargate is quite something! As is the lace. Gotta love lace: I've been away from it for a while, but as soon as this square-a-thon is over...

10:51 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

The rain this October was amazing! And not in the most complimentary way, either. I'm glad your flowers didn't come to any harm. And that lace! Lovely!

4:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter