Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



20 October 2009

Chimney Tales

The Stargate is still in Chart B, the lace ground bit, where every fourth row is a whole round of YO and a double decrease, quite fiddly in the fine yarn. It's slow knitting and it doesn't look much different from photo to photo.

So I was blanking yet again on any kind of a post topic.

And then! I finally got around to catching up on the blogs I read, and Antonia did a post about chimney sweeps (look at her gorgeous fireplace: I am so jealous), and I started to type a novel in her comments and realized, "Hey! I have a post topic!"

We heat our house with wood and now with the little gas log. When you burn wood, you need to keep the chimney clean.

The first time we started to think about this, we called the only chimney sweep around, and he came in and looked at our short, straight length of chimney.

Then he draped everything lovingly in tarpaulins, took the vent cap off the top on the roof, and swept it from the top down, and came indoors and carefully vacuumed the whole stove as clean as a dinner plate.

Amazing.

And then he said, "Not to shoot myself in the foot or anything, but you could easily clean a nice straight chimney like this yourself." Sweeps really are like Antonia's, even in the wilds of America.

(It is, too, wild here: I saw an owl fly across my driveway this afternoon when we walked down to get the mail.)

Of course, our chimney is just boring black metal, and our chimney pots are soot-blackened shiny galvanized metal, not very photogenic.

The stove itself is pretty, light bluish soapstone with fancy castings. Also in need of a wire-brushing and spray of new high-temperature stovepaint on the cast iron parts.

But!

Last winter the child learned that when the fire had burned down to a nice bed of coals, I would open the stove door and allow the toasting of marshmallows.

Mmmm, marshmallows.

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger amy said...

If I had a chimney that required sweeping (if only!) I'd want Dick Van Dyke and his whole crew of singing chimney sweeps from Mary Poppins. Oh how I loved that movie. I really have to get a copy to watch with the boys... but anyway, every time I hear "chimney sweep" that's what I think of.

9:04 PM  
Blogger Rose Red said...

Oh marshmallows - my husband can't wait to roast marshmallows over our fire! We just need to get some sort of long toasting fork thingy.

And thanks for the link to that blog - it was hilarious! Have now added yet another blog to my bulging googlereader!

9:33 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

I don't have a fire to roast marshmallows over! But when I was little, I used to roast them over our gas stove with my mom, or she'd light the grill and we'd use that.

9:19 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

Mmmmm - toasted marshmallows! What splendid memories you are building for that boy. He doesn't know yet, how lucky he is. Be sure you live a long, long time so he can get around to appreciating you properly.

10:45 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I love toasted marshmallows, the really burned ones! Yum.

My parents had a chimney and had a sweep come in and clean it every year. It was interesting to watch but a really messy job.

12:24 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Mmm...marshmallows, indeed! Roasting marshmallows is one of the best things about having a bed of coals. Mmm...

1:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter