Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



07 October 2009

No Transition

I finally knitted my way up to that bright light lime green stripe I could see, and talk about no transition!

I think the thread broke in the mill right here. If you could feel it, where the lavender suddenly changes to the light green, there is a little hard lump in the thread. Spit splice, anyone? (Okay, I say hard, but more like felt-hard than glue-hard.)
And where did that color change happen in the knitting?

Weird! Exactly, precisely at the halfway point.

I'm knitting this on both of my 32-inch Silverado 2.75mm circulars, with one long side on each needle. The blue tatting threads mark the start and end of the two repeats that make the half-circle at one end of the runner.
This does look a little weird at the tip of the leaf. Here I am knitting along in different shades, but all about the same darkness, and suddenly I get this band of a much lighter color.

The tip of the leaf is also the end of chart A, and then I'm onto a section of lace ground in chart B.

Switching my camera to its black and white mode shows how much lighter the green is than the colors before it.

I was weighing whether I liked this sudden color change or not, and then I ended up taking a little drive this afternoon.

The trees are changing color, and I saw the most beautiful ash tree (shakes fist at emerald ash borers) with a grape vine near the base of it. I think it had all of these colors except the blue.

If nature can put up with it, I guess I can, too.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger roxie said...

Nature does awesome things with contrasts and shadings. There really isn't any way to combine colors that won't delight someone. There are even people willing to live in all white rooms. Can you imagine?

Orange and purple together make my teeth hurt. Except sometimes, when the vine maples pull it off. Even then, it's ok, but I just don't love it. There are lots of folks who love that clash, though. And that's why they make chocolate and vanilla.

10:19 AM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I'm not sure I could deal with that much contrast. What's the alternative? Is the next color down the line more compatible? Would you be able to cut it and splice it on your own and still have enough yarn to finish?

10:57 AM  
Blogger HobbygÃ¥sa said...

Bet this will turn out very well :-) The yarn is often made for matching, and what looks strange during knitting turns out beautiful when the whole skein is knitted up.

2:41 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Now that is an excellent philosophy! I'm guessing that for me, it's what comes after the green that would make it work or not (helpful, no?). :)

10:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter