Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



03 October 2009

Early Days

I have not always been a knitter of lace and socks and mind-stretching double knitting.

This might be the earliest knitting of mine that exists. When I was in the fifth grade, our teacher gave us a mimeographed pattern for something called Pixie Boot Baby Booties.

You knitted a garter stitch square, folded it into a triangle, sewed up the sole and the back, folded the top corner down, and voila! you had a baby booty.

That was the theory, anyway.

When I was trying to learn to tat, my fondness for DMC shaded pastels had not left me.

This is not quite the first tatting I ever did. I think it's the second. I just stranded the thread along behind and started a new clover leaf.

No, I think this might be the first tatting I ever did, complete with ring joined in the wrong spot so that it ended up accidentally three-dimensional.

After I threw it across the room, I fished it back out of the corner, got a little squinty-eyed, and did it again to take the curse off of it.

You can't let these fiber arts think they're the boss, you know, otherwise they will make you no end of miserable.

Plainly my fondness for shaded colors has not left me. I'm up to row 21 on chart A of "Lilac Time", a row where each repeat starts with a shift of the stitch marker and a slip 1, knit 2 together, pass the slipped stitch over.

Another couple of rounds and these will really start to look like leaves. Then it will be on into chart B and a swath of lace ground.
It's been raining on and off most of this week, but this afternoon it finally relented a little and the sun even came out.

I went outside to give the birdfeeders a shake and found one last tiny sunflower of the season, barely nine inches tall, under the edge of the yew bush where Truffles likes to dig herself a cool bed in the sand.

A sunny bright yellow flower to enjoy at the end of a chilly and damp day.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger roxie said...

The shaded pastels still have a naive charm for me. And you make that shaded lace looks sooo awesome!

6:56 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

I love seeing all of those early projects! It's kind of fun sometimes to see how far one can come with a craft, isn't it? I don't think I have anything of mine from my early days of knitting. In my case, that may be a good thing...

7:30 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

Your lace is beautiful! My first sweater was a "blanket with arms" that my husband still wears. I didn't know about gauge.....

7:40 PM  
Blogger Rose Red said...

Heh, years ago I made my mum some crochet doilies out of a very similar shaded pastel variegated cotton!!

It's very cool you still have your first knitted and tatted pieces!

8:43 PM  
Blogger HobbygÃ¥sa said...

That is a beuatiful yarn, and the green is awsome! Wow, love that tatting too.
You know, the snow is much to early this year in Norway. First weekend in November is more common, not October! I really don't think we have had snow so early before ever... And I really hope it now will stay away for a long time - I don't need it before Christmas eve :-)

5:13 AM  
Blogger Bells said...

i made booties like those!

Such treasures to have your early work. Just lovely.

5:44 AM  
Blogger Virginia G said...

I'm digging the early efforts post. It's very encouraging when I see that other people didn't spring fully formed into beautiful crafts projects. Especially on a bad knitting day.

6:14 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oh, lucky for us tatters these days there is such a variety of multi colored threads! I am really liking the new Lizbeth threads as well as my favorite old stand-by of DMC!

1:46 AM  
Blogger Arabella said...

Lilac time! Must be Marianne Kinzel. What a genius she was.

Nice blog you've got here.

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter