Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



06 October 2009

The Lace Already

Once I had knitted the laceweight merino version out as far as my prototype string version, I decided to keep the string version up. It gives me a stitch count for the end and center repeats, plus what a good way to show the meaning of that phrase I stole from the bobbin lacemakers: "The color wears the lace".

In the white version, the only thing going on is the pattern, so that's what stands out.

In contrast, the Daphne version has a lot of color going on. You can still see the pattern, but the strong bands of color stand out and draw the eye away from it.

I've heard a lot of good stuff about Marianne Kinzel's designs, and it's turning out to be true. The pattern directions are both charted and written out, and people have said over and over, "With no errors".

I'm following the chart, and so far, not one error in it! It's straightforward and logical, so after a while I'm not so much remembering the repeat as following the logic: the leaf is decreasing at both edges, so there must be a k2tog at one edge and an SSK at the other.

And today is looking like another day of perfect knitting weather: chilly and rainy out, with another high wind advisory overnight.

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Virginia G said...

It's very pretty either way, but I do like the color bands effect.

1:08 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

What a difference. The pattern is so much more the star in the white piece. I like your colors, though and you can still see the leaves so it's all good.

7:35 PM  
Blogger Rose Red said...

It's amazing what a difference the colour makes to the pattern.

12:06 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

Man, if you're going to put that much work into getting the pattern right, you may as well show it off. You could do that sweet Daphne in stockinette and it would be just as lovely. But that white string lace is a knock-the-socks-off stunner. Indeed, the color wears the pattern!

10:50 AM  
Blogger Geek Knitter said...

I like both versions!

11:15 AM  
Blogger Gr8lakesgrrl said...

Interesting, I find that the color takes away from the pattern for me.

8:29 PM  
Blogger Walden said...

Very beautiful!

6:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter