Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



16 October 2009

It's a Stretch

I have to thank Becky for giving me a post topic for today.

She commented, "I keep staring at the 2 different laces and they look different to me. The white one has the petals arranged in 2 clovers on either end, where the colored one seems to have 2 parallel lines of 3 petals side by side...."

That's mainly me taking the easiest pictures. Here, for example, the white one relaxes on the arm of the loveseat where I often sit and knit. I didn't have to do anything special to take its picture: the cotton and the weight of the dpns hold the lace stretched out enough to see.

Getting a similar picture of the laceweight merino one takes more effort. I have to get out a blocking mat, a piece of white paper to show off the yarn's colors, and pins pins pins pins pins.

I don't have space on my circular needles to stretch it out to full length without one end of the knitting escaping off the ends of the needles. And there is no way I'm trying this thin yarn on multiple dpns, thank you! I might be extreme as far as my knitting, but I'm not that extreme.

"Lilac Time" is a very versatile design with variations right in the book: dinner cloth, tea cloth, runner (the one I'm using), and round doily. I think the one in the book has 8 center repeats. I used one center repeat for the white lace, and either 9 or 10 for the stargate.

If you mentally repeat the bottom two leaves in the colored one and stick another clover leaf on the far end, that is how it's going to look.

We've had a lot of overcast weather, and I still haven't gotten a decent picture of the colors. For example, the outer stripe right now is a deep sage green. Most of the pictures show it as dark gray on my monitor.

Somebody send us some sunshine!

Labels:

7 Comments:

Blogger Becky Dempsey said...

Okay, so I wasn't going crazy! Thanks for clearing it up for my poor sleep deprived brain (2 month old in the house and all!) And the two are similar but not exactly the same, right? The colored one will end up longer, correct?

8:26 PM  
Blogger Bells said...

Both stunning pieces Alwen. Good work!

2:34 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

And you do this for fun? I mean, I could do it if someone threatened my beloved or offered me a million dollars or found some other carrot or stick big enough, but it would give me headaches and screaming tantrums on an almost hourly basis. Humanity is wonderfully diverse, and your work just blows me away. Yay for you!!

(My verification word is bulgate. It's the version of the Bible that is written in language that forbids homosexual marriage, forgivness of sins and generosity to the undeserving.)

10:31 AM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

You can have ours! We've got plenty and to spare, and I'll gladly take that rain off your hands. Meanwhile, though, that is some stunning lace :)

2:28 PM  
Blogger Walden said...

Lovely comparison.

11:36 PM  
Blogger Knit - R - Done said...

They are both really pretty.

2:25 PM  
Blogger GenerallyGemma said...

I'm always amazed how lace turns out. It's a little bit of a miracle to me that a puddle of knots can stretch out into something so beautiful. Both of them are gorgeous!

2:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter