Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



10 October 2009

The View from Where I Sit

I skipped posting Thursday, but I didn't mean to skip yesterday. When I tried to post, our wireless internet had gone wonky and I couldn't connect long enough to upload anything.
We have had rain rain rain rain rain. I discovered a disadvantage to the wire birdfeeder I bought last fall: when it rains for week after week, if it's warm enough, the sunflower seeds sprout!

Yesterday I had all kinds of birds out in the rain, but they kept flying off when I went to the window with the camera. There were red-breasted nuthatches, chickadees, a baby cardinal begging to be fed (although she was plenty big enough to feed herself), a couple of bluejays, a tufted titmouse, and a flock of mystery finches.

I tried to take a picture of them by zooming in on the sumac, but an instant before I pushed the button, suddenly all but one flew away, and I got a picture of its back.

Then when I lowered the camera, I saw this and figured that was picture-worthy, too.

I'm onto chart B now, which is all lace ground. Not very exciting to look at, but pretty easy to knit. I find it slow knitting the rows of double decreases in the Daphne, so it might take me a while to knit through this section.

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger Marguerite said...

I haven't seen a red-breasted nuthatch yet this year. Fun little birds. Some winters we don't get them.

On the watch for my first Junco. Then I know it's time to haul out the mittens.

12:09 PM  
Blogger Allison said...

Isn't tech stuff fun???

Do you have a tripod? You could get everything set up which would require less motion when you actually sneak up to take any pictures.

Love watching Lilac Time grow in two separate versions.

4:53 PM  
Blogger roxie said...

Mystery finches? We have those, too! And a friend of mine who was a guide at the Mt. St. Helen's interpretive center calls them, "Your basic LBB." (LBB stands for Little Brown Bird. I love knowing these technical terms.)I can tell a Canada Honker from a Mallard, and a blue Jay from a Crow, but that's about it for my bird identification. I love your names and photos!

7:00 PM  
Blogger Hobbygåsa said...

Hehe shoting photos of birds can be pretty frustrating - I know :-) Great knitting you have there, and lovely flowers!

12:32 PM  
Blogger Bells said...

oh it is photo worthy! Gorgeous!!

6:53 PM  
Blogger Carolyn said...

http://18thccuisine.blogspot.com/2004/12/sumac-lemonade.html

http://18thccuisine.blogspot.com/2006/09/sumac-syrup.html

Just some of the things one can do with sumac …

1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter