Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



21 October 2009

Mostly Pictorial Except When I Can't Shut Up


Path through the little maples.


Part of the loop through the gone-to-seed goldenrod, blurry where I stitched it.

One of the Chinese chestnut trees we grew from nuts from a tree on the farm next door. I'm not old enough to remember the chestnut blight, but I'm old enough to have grown a tree from a nut!
And now those trees are old enough to be producing spiky chestnut burrs of their own.

Last, a fungus, some kind of earthstar, growing just outside the dripline of a youngish red oak. I'm going to invoke the power of the internet here and ask, "Which the heck earthstar is this?" This one was about 6 inches across, and one of the others was about 8 inches across. They came up in a rough crescent around the oak tree, a couple of dozen of them.

My husband is into mycology, so we have quite a few mushroom field guides, and I haven't found any that really seem to match these.


So if you know any mycology professors who are into earthstars, point them at this one!

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger roxie said...

Earthstar - how evocative. No idea what it's name is, but it's cool! Wonderful autumnal photos.

9:45 AM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Alas, no mycology professors here (must hire one when the budget crisis is over; I want an answer to this one!). But I love those pictures; fall is looking lovely where you are.

6:42 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I've never seen one of those. They are cool looking. Are they very destructive?

8:01 PM  
Blogger Bells said...

I have a yearning to be a mycologist. I just love the idea of knowing all about these amazing things. How fascinating!

4:16 AM  
Blogger Gr8lakesgrrl said...

Wow, I've never even heard of an Earthstar, I'll be looking for them now!

3:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter