Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



30 October 2009

Ajax: No More Failed Self-Cloning Attempt

For about the last six years, my dog Ajax has had this growth on his front paw.

It started as a little thing. When I first noticed it, I thought he had a tick on his foot, but when I tried to tweeze it off, he yelped. I took a closer look and saw that it was a little black skin tag.

Over the years, the thing slowly grew. At each vet visit, the vet would take a look at it and give me guidelines for when it should be removed.

Last week it finally met those guidelines: so big it was touching the ground when he walked, and he was finally taking notice of it and licking at it. The top picture was about a week before he started fussing at it.

I took that picture because he had collected all of his chew toys from around the house onto his rug. There was a fourth bone just out of camera range.

The bottom picture is Ajax this morning, with bright orange vet wrap around his foot. Yesterday was surgery day.

Because he is so big and has always been sensitive about having his feet touched, they couldn't remove it by just giving him a local anesthetic. (This was one of the reasons we were watching and waiting.) They had to put him under, and at age eight, I spent the day knitting in order not to concentrate on worrying about him.

But now he is home and doing fine. And I am thinking about drawing a jack o'lantern face on the orange vet wrap!

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger @eloh said...

He looks like such a good boy.

12:30 PM  
Blogger Marguerite said...

Healing wishes for Ajax. What a good boy for not chewing off that orange tape.

6:24 PM  
Blogger Silver Palace Soaps said...

It's amazing that it lasted this long with out any other problems.

11:19 PM  
Blogger Rose Red said...

Aw, poor Ajax! What an odd thing, I've never seen such a growth, I'm glad you knew what to do about it.

4:14 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

Eww- gross growth! Benign I trust? Glad to see it gone. May he heal quickly and completely. ("All the toys are mine." Happy dog!)

10:41 AM  
Blogger Walden said...

I am glad your puppy is doing well. He looks adorable sweet.

3:20 PM  
Blogger Olivia said...

I'm so glad the removal went well and hope it heals quickly for him. He's a gorgeous boy!

11:34 PM  
Blogger Gr8lakesgrrl said...

Is he 8 already? He's such a good boy not to fuss with it for so long, that's rather amazing! I'm glad he's done with that, it's always nerve wracking when anyone you love has to go under general anesthesia.

5:59 PM  
Blogger catsmum said...

erk yuck!
I'm really sirprised that he hadn't tried to gnaw it off long before this - and he's being so good about the bandage too!
hope all continues well
xxox s

11:41 PM  
Blogger HobbygÃ¥sa said...

Oh poor Ajax, but I think he will be happy without that thing on his foot. Best healing wishes Ajax! And you are sooo cute!

6:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter