Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



01 September 2011

Using My Powers for Good

So what good is marinating my brains in lace knitting, other than turning all evil snark-weasel on badly-knit examples of lovely lace patterns?

We'll see - I'm making an either brave or totally mad attempt to repair a good friend's triangular Orenburg shawl which has a hole chewed in it by her cat.


The yarn is Jaggerspun Zephyr Wool-Silk, which makes a nice stable stitch that doesn't run.

The hole runs diagonally, taking three diamonds out of the lace ground section, so it's not a simple matter of picking up at the bottom and knitting straight up.

No, it's a puzzle, this is.

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger jeaniebabb said...

What a wonderful challenging puzzle. She is lucky to have you!

4:38 PM  
Blogger roxie said...

O.
M.
G.

When you're done with that, would you re-knit my broken wrist? I would just as soon not have this titanium plate in my arm. Couldn't be MUCH harder than repairing/re-knitting Orenberg lace.

(Did the cat survive?)

6:37 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

One of the recent issues of Piecework (I think) had an article about restoring an old shawl. It's such a painstaking and intricate project. You are the perfect person for this.

8:15 AM  
Blogger Rose Red said...

Both brave AND totally mad, I think! And like Donna Lee said, the perfect person for this project!

8:34 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Oh. Wow.

Puzzle, indeed! That's certainly a more positive spin than "total nightmare mess". :)

If anyone can do it, though, it's you!

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter