Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



09 July 2011

Glöckchen Progress, Lilies, a SPIDER!

If you are spider phobic, and don't even like to see pictures of spiders, I'm giving lots and lots of warning so you can look away. There is a spider photo at the end of this post!

One of the knitting projects I took to work on at Origins was Glöckchen, but I had only knitted on it a little bit before I remembered one of the reasons I had put it down.

It was so seriously crowded on the needle at over 900 stitches per round that at one point about 11 stitches oozed off the needle while it was between bouts of knitting!

I twisted my husband's arm and had him take me to Knitters' Mercantile one morning before we headed in to the convention. I bought a second US 0 (2.0 mm) circular, so I could stretch Glöckchen out a bit again.

The stitch count peaked at 1212 in Round 139, where you make a triple yarnover and then knit into it 13 times in the plain row. I am finally out to Round 149 with one more pattern round to go after this.

We came home to lilies in bloom.



I just realized my "Tiger Babies" lilies from The Lily Garden have been in the ground here for 20 years.

They look pretty crowded at this point, but after twenty years in one spot, many lilies would have crowded themselves completely out of bloom.

Okay, is everybody ready for my spider? Spider-phobics safely out of the room?
.
.
.
.
.white space, so you don't have to see it if you don't want to
.
.
.
.
.
Last chance to click away before seeing a close-up of a bold jumping spider, Phidippus audax.

Is that thing cool or what? Eyes, nose, and big white lips!

Labels: , , ,

8 Comments:

Blogger Becky Dempsey said...

So *that* is what those kinds of spiders are! We quite frequently have them trying to live in our mailbox (I usually shoo them out, so as not to grab one while getting the mail!)

10:35 PM  
Blogger amy said...

Well, spiders don't trouble me too much, luckily, since they're all over the house. I tell them to eat the bugs I *don't* like. Although I think our toddler was bitten by a spider in the yard the other day. Her poor little ankle got all swollen and painful for a day or so. I told her the spider was probably surprised and it wasn't malicious; I don't want her to learn to fear them.

The doily, wow! I've just started my first but I think they might be addictive.

11:05 PM  
Blogger Rose Red said...

Omg, 1212 stitches per round, a TRIPLE yarn over with 13 stitches made of it. That is one scary piece of knitting! Much more so than the happy face spider! (ok, maybe not, but it's pretty close!)

3:39 AM  
Blogger Cathy-Cate said...

I love the spider! Thanks for taking a picture, and then posting it!

Also, I love your Glockchen! (Sorry no umlaut at the moment.) Binding off will take a while....but blocking will be so satisfying. It's going to look amazing.

My Asiatic lilies have never looked the same since a friend of ours (who is a landscaper) thinned them three years ago....he said they would bounce back better than ever in a couple years....not so much. I think they liked being left alone, they were showstoppers before that. Maybe time to get some more?

8:19 AM  
Blogger Virginia G said...

The spider is cool!

And the doily is absolutely gorgeous.

9:48 AM  
Blogger catsmum said...

v cool spider - don't think we get those ones here
and
i don't want to know what the stitch count will be by the final row

11:31 PM  
Blogger Bells said...

holy crap that spider....and your own web is looking pretty stunning. So. Many. Stitches.

Whoa.

7:12 AM  
Blogger Marguerite said...

Love all of it - the knitting, the spider, and the lilies.

5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter