Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



17 May 2011

My Jetsons Moment

I read Julie's post the other day, and when I turned on some music this morning, I remembered I had a Jetsons moment of my own to share.

My husband got me an mp3 player last November, and very shortly I remembered how much I dislike headphones, earbuds, and every other kind of in or on the ear sound thing. I notice them all the time. They just drive me wild.

So I kept an eye out, and a while ago I bought a pair of capsule speakers for the mp3 player:



This black matte egg separates into two little pop-up speakers that sit by my knitting spot.

I grew up in the Age of Big Stereo: big turntables, big speakers. In my head, a small stereo is a boom box.

To have a stereo sound system that fits on one hand . . . wow. Definitely a Jetsons moment.

Labels:

4 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

I have one of those little iPods the size of a postage stamp. THAT gave me a moment, for sure.

Speaker technology has come a long way. I'm told it has to do with mylar and better magnets, but I'm thinking it's so we can keep up with the Jetsons.

3:30 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Very cool! I felt the same way when I got my little ipod - it's one of the square ones (not a nano, but only a bit bigger), and I love it rather a lot, precisely because it's so small, and it holds so. much.

10:01 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

I have an mp3 player that holds so many audio books that I could listen for weeks and weeks without listening to the same thing twice and one of those tiny ones that clip to my shirt for the gym that holds hundreds of songs. Boggles the mind.

I endure headphones that clip to my ear but they're becoming harder to find so I'm training myself to like earbuds. Not too successfully so far.

8:32 AM  
Blogger Virginia G said...

Sony just came out with some earbuds that don't suck. They have adjustable ear pieces, so you can choose the correct size... kinda rocks! I've been pretty happy with them.

9:06 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter