Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



04 April 2011

Poem of the Day

Mud
by Polly Chase Boyden

Mud is very nice to feel
All squishy-squash between the toes!
I'd rather wade in wiggly mud
Than smell a yellow rose.

Nobody else but the rosebush knows
How nice mud feels
Between the toes.


I don't remember the first time I read this poem, but I have the last line thoroughly stuck in my head, and it leaps into my head spontaneously when I see spring mud.

April is indeed the cruelest month for weather. According to the local airport weather station, last night the high temperature hit 68 degrees Fahrenheit (20 C) - at 3am! Now that it's daytime, it's only 41 F (5 C). We haven't had our April snow yet, but that would be very typical.

The first Diana Wynne Jones book I ever read was Archer's Goon. I can't put my finger on one thing that I enjoyed so much, but it made me search out more of her books, like Dog's Body and Howl's Moving Castle.

I tend to like books with a certain level of complexity and background detail, so that when I re-read them, I pick out things on the second (or third) reading that I missed first time around. Most of her books have that.

I've been paging through old April posts, looking for inspiration. It's hard to believe it's been five years since I first knitted a Pi doily.

Let's see, what else has been happening?

I've been knitting little Niebling patterns from Bande 760.

Fig. 28:
Fig. 17:
Fig. 6:

Crocuses came up:

And snowdrops:

And the snow finally melted away.

Labels: , , , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Rebecca said...

Ahh, mud. Today is the first day of the year that there's really been mud where I live—there was an enormous thunderstorm last night that melted the last of the snow. (At least it had better be the last of the snow.)

I sure like those tiny Nieblings!

2:44 PM  
Blogger roxie said...

Your laceworks just knock my socks off! What a magnificent obsession.

You want mud? Come visit Western Oregon. We got mud 10 out of twelve months of the year. Makes for lots of hapoy roses. Well, maybe not so much here at Blackspot Manor, but in the valley as a whole.

9:53 AM  
Blogger Virginia G said...

Those laces look so perfect. Organic almost. They put me in mind of dried leaves. I can't remember the plant they're from, but the leaves are kind of roundish and white when they're dried and they're a staple of flower arrangements.

ANYHOO, crappy memory aside, LOVE the lace. Love love love.

4:43 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

I love Archer's Goon! Actually, I love all of her books, but you're right, that one really has all kinds of wonderful things in it. Also A Sudden Wild Magic - I love that book, too. And I like your poem - mud between the toes is a very good thing in spring (as are crocuses).

2:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter