Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



25 May 2011

My Historic Doily Kick

Lately my obsession has been knitting a lot of fairly old doily patterns.

I downloaded a knitting chart font with characters like the charts my Niebling patterns use, and I've been making charts from things like the written instructions in my 1909 copy of de Dillmont's Encyclopedia of Needlework.

Although I know better, I loved this blue-shaded crochet cotton so much that I knitted the de Dillmont doily out of it.I hoped the soft blues would blend better - instead they settled stubbornly into same-color pools.

Another doily I recharted was this one, Duchrow 61.5.I used a ball of vintage thread that turned out to have both white and cream/ecru wound over the same ball. I want to tea-dye this thing to soften that white ring, and then I'll re-block it.

This week I've been working on pattern 72 from the knitted lace section of Das Stricken, as reprinted in Lacis' Knitted Lace II (Kunst-Stricken II).It's a very pretty little thing - the plate from the original hardly does it justice.

Unfortunately the chart in the Lacis book was cut vertically, and starting at Row 28, is missing three stitches from each row.

Fortunately, when I recharted this, I lined up motifs the way the Niebling charts do, and those missing stitches turned that section to instant static.

And after messing about with it a bit, I realized that also starting at Row 28, there were two repeats per row, so all I had to do was work out where the first one ended and knit it again.

We haven't had the severe weather much of the midwest has been suffering, but it's been raining plenty, so I've had lots of time indoors this week to knit!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Those are just beautiful! I particularly love the last one - it's so three-dimensional. Can't wait to see how it turns out. I'm glad you're avoiding the worst of the weather, and making the best of the rain!

11:23 AM  
Blogger Marguerite said...

Beautiful!

Isn't this just perfect knitting weather? While the yard gets more and more out of control?

I'm glad we live in a neighborhood where nobody seems to care about beautiful lawns and gardens.

2:29 PM  
Blogger Rose Red said...

They are all amazing! You clever clogs!

6:30 AM  
Blogger Olivia said...

I love coming here to see your beautiful lace knitting. Yes, the blue pooling is a bit odd, but I sort of like the juxtaposition of the classic pattern and unexpected colours.

11:23 PM  
Blogger Virginia G said...

Gorgeous doilies! I'm always so impressed by your lace knitting.

11:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter