Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



23 July 2011

Flowers and Flowery Lace Knitting

I have a degree in horticulture, and my area of specialization was floriculture, but I don't have anything like an organized flower garden. I tend to plant things here and there, and because I recognize the seedlings and the early sprouts, mow around them in the grass.

I have flowers all over the place in random clumps. My brain presents me with scientific names memorized decades ago - where does it store all this stuff?I remembered the moth mullein was a Verbascum, but I didn't remember the species, V. blattaria.

My swamp milkweed, Asclepias incarnata, is not growing in a swamp. It is growing out of a crack in a concrete porch slab from the original farmhouse site, about as un-swampy as you could get.

Ever since I noticed a few years back how much the hummingbirds liked the catnip flowers, I've encouraged it, but they aren't the only thing that likes it.

This Silver-spotted Skipper, Epargyreus clarus, likes it, too. The skipper is very territorial, and comes back to the catnip over and over throughout the day. When I went out to take its picture, it flew off, but not very far, and within a minute was back where I could take a close-up.

And here's my White Henryi lily again. I just realized I bought the original bulbs about 25 years ago, and it's come back reliably year after year. 2011 has been a very rainy year, but it made a fine show back in 2008, which was dry.

White Henryi is one of the lilies Donna Lee was talking about in her comment, the ones with a scent that knocks you down and sits on you. Most of the Oriental lilies are like that - the green nectary star in the center is a fairly reliable indicator of strong-scentedness.
Personally, I'm not a fan of scents that knock me down and sit on me, so the majority of my lilies are Asiatics with little or no scent.

The knitting on Glöckchen is done:The casting-off is . . . half done.

Each of the twelve repeats has twenty-two crocheted chains, and I am not a very fast crocheter. I was hoping to finish by Saturday, but along about Thursday afternoon I realized I wouldn't make it. I'm still plugging along, though, because I can hardly wait to block this thing!

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that your brain retains all of the Latin! I'm doing well if I remember common names.
I want to knit that for my round dining table! I have done crochet pieces in the past, but will have to really dig for my pattern books. My favorite ones are with size 30 thread and a 14 hook.

4:23 PM  
Blogger Rose Red said...

I have never seen the White henryi lily, it is gorgeous. I am a big fan of the strong scented lilies, I should see if I can grow them.
Can't wait to see the lace blocked - amazing!

6:42 PM  
Blogger roxie said...

Asclepius incarnata - now there's a name to conjure with!

Love those potent lillies. Will search for White Henryi at the next bulbous opportunity.

The knitting, as ever, is stunning! I think you have an extra lobe in your brain to do those things.

7:03 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

I can hardly wait for you to block it! I can tell already that it's going to be a stunner. And I'm very impressed by your many flowers, as well as liking the idea of them growing in a random, instead of organized, way (I really like random things, I guess).

8:21 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

The white henry lilies are really pretty. I'd put them way in the back next to my grandfather's Iris. he gave me some and the smell was overwhelming (I have a very sensitive nose).

The glocken is going to be beautiful. That crocheted edge will set it off. I learned to crochet first and I find it so much faster.

8:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter