Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



29 February 2012

Teapot Mystery

Remember these teapots?I bought the little one a couple of Octobers ago, the same day I found my Egeblad mirror tray.

At the time, because I live near an area heavily settled by the Dutch, I assumed they were Delft-style tin-glazed pottery.

But lately I started trying to find out more about them, and couldn't find anything Delft-style that really resembled them.

Pages of porcelain marks were no help, as they are both blank and smooth on the base.

I browsed through pages and pages of Chinese export porcelain, and posted a photo on a Chinese antique porcelain webpage. The owner said they could be Japanese.

So then I looked at more pages of blue and white teapots, and eBay guesses they might be Japanese Arita ware, like this teapot or this one.

Any porcelain experts out there who know for sure?

They are nice little pots and I use them both regularly now.

4 Comments:

Blogger Donna Lee said...

I am no porcelain expert but they are pretty little things, arent' they? I'd use them too.

My favorite tea pots belonged to my grandmother(s). I have one from each and they're as different as the women who owned them.

7:50 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

Wouldn't it be wonderful if the persons who paired those pots could know where they have been? Best of luck in discovering their provenance.

1:06 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

I don't know, but they are really lovely, aren't they? I love blue and white in any case, but those are particularly nice.

9:27 PM  
Blogger catsmum said...

I saw something similar on the UK program Bargain Hunt [ a rerun from a few years ago ] and they were - I think - an English tin glaze. Wouldn't want to swear to it but it might be a jumping off point.

5:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter