Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



13 September 2011

Spot the Repair

The horizontal threads are in the same position.

This is the only knitting I touched since I brought it home. I was afraid if I stepped away from it, I would convince myself it was too hard.

It actually got harder as I worked my way up to the top of the hole, when I had to CONNECT ALL THE THINGS, sewing the patch I had created to the unbroken stitches around and above it.

I commented on Facebook, "People who think I'm such a super lace genius are not familiar with my method, which is DO IT EVERY POSSIBLE WRONG WAY FIRST."

That line might make people laugh, but so many times I reached the end of a row, only to realize I had made a mistake two rows back that only became obvious when I tried to go on to the third row, and couldn't.

As a project, this was both satisfying and hair-pulling-outingly frustrating. I am pretty happy with the end result, but wow. Getting there was no picnic. I was happy to do it for a friend, but I would not do this for any amount of money!

Labels: ,

12 Comments:

Blogger Becky Dempsey said...

Wow, that is amazing! You are a wizard :)

8:16 PM  
Blogger Rebecca said...

You're a champion! This is a stellar repair.

9:34 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

ah yes, the things we do for love that we wouldn't do for money! You did a fabulous job. But it feels really good doesn't it?

8:18 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

Take yourself out for chocolate eclairs and brandy! No, really - this demands a celebration. You totally rock!

9:39 AM  
Blogger Kat said...

*Bows down to your prowess*

THAT IS AMAZING.

I've dropped stuff down and reworked, but not like that.

BRAVA!!!!!!!!!

10:07 AM  
Blogger Marguerite said...

Totally impressed. I vote for the super lace genius theory.

12:32 PM  
Blogger Rose Red said...

No matter what you say, you are an awesome amazing lace genius person! I would never be abLe to do that for love or for money!

8:07 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

That is some serious wow factor. I am VERY impressed (although not at all surprised that you could do it). I do know what you mean about making mistakes as a part of the learning process - it certainly seems to be how I get things done :)

11:44 PM  
Blogger Olivia said...

just...wow.

5:16 AM  
Blogger Virginia G said...

That is really amazing! I'm deeply impressed with your mad skillz. (whether or not you did it every possible wrong way first, you still got it done, and beautifully)

4:45 PM  
Blogger Denise said...

You still persevered and finished it, and did grown-up stuff! You deserve CAKE and PIE!!! \o/

10:05 PM  
Blogger catsmum said...

that calls for massive amounts of chocolate - and, maybe, a Baileys too.
stellar job.
I would've just handed it back with a 'nope'

7:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter