Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



27 January 2012

Let Me 'Splain

No, wait, there is too much. Let me sum up.

Oh, what the heck. It's my blog, I'll explain at length if I want!

I am a pretty good chicken photographer, and I can take a decent close-up of knitting or a columbine flower, but it turns out I'm a rotten travel photographer.

And without pictures, I don't have a lot to say.

There have been a bunch of little stumbling blocks keeping me from blogging, little, but one after another, I just don't seem to get to it.

For one thing, what with the home schooling, on weekdays we have a "No computer until afternoon" rule.

However, it turns out my most productive writing time is in the morning, from around 8:30 to about 10:00 am. Pretty much anything I get started in that time slot gets done. But you'll notice that it falls in our "no computer" stretch.

For another, I got this sweet little netbook, and I was thinking that would lead to easier blogging, since I can move it around anywhere.

But the netbook doesn't have all my yummy photo editing software that my PC has, and I haven't figured out yet if it will even work on the netbook.

We bought a new Brother laser printer to replace the horrible old HP inkjet, and the old one is sitting in my computer chair, inconveniencing me and keeping me from using the PC until I woman up and deal with it.

Then there is this mostly snowless winter Michigan has been having - no snow makes our cloudy days all the darker, and I slow down like a chilled lizard.

And! There is FoldIt.

I started playing FoldIt just before we left for the Netherlands. I actually played some of the tutorial puzzles in the airport, then I worked on the science puzzles while we were there.

So I've been playing a lot of that and not blogging.

And to add more weight to the winter darkness, my last living grandmother, my dad's mom, passed away on the 10th of January.

I've written an in memoriam post for her in my head so many times I don't know what I want to say any more.

8 Comments:

Blogger Olivia said...

Alwen, it's just nice you're back, you don't have to explain! Hope you had a good trip.

I'm very sorry for the loss of your grandmother. Don't rush it, perhaps in time the words will flow.

3:06 AM  
Blogger roxie said...

Hugs and love. It's hard when a whole bunch of little things gang up on you allot once. It's like being nibbled to death by ducks. The misery of a million paper cuts. Is there any way we can help you gang up on the harassment?

Try an ott light. The dark days suck energy out of you.

12:52 PM  
Blogger  Lona said...

I'm sorry about the loss of your grandmother. Mine are all gone, now, too. =(

1:35 PM  
Blogger Virginia G said...

I hear all of that.

And I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your grandmother.

As for the darkness, my husband and I have discovered the joys of a light box this year, and we've managed to avoid most of the winter depression thus far.

Very glad to see the light is increasing each day. Lifts the heart.

11:15 AM  
Blogger Rose Red said...

No need to explain, life just has a habit of throwing things at us all at once sometimes. I would like to hear about your trip if you get to the pictures.

I'm very sorry about your grandmother. I'd like to hear about her too, if you find the right words.

8:54 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

We are having a warmish/no snow winter, too. That doesn't stop the grey days from being grey, though. I second the Ott light. It really helps (although you can just buy a daylight bulb for a favorite lamp).

I'm sorry about your grandmother. I know the feeling of having too much to say and no way to say it.

8:25 AM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about the loss of your grandmother. I know exactly what you mean about those memorial posts, where the words chase themselves around and around in your head but never quite seem ready to be typed. It'll happen.

(Love the Princess Bride quote - somehow those always make things a bit brighter.)

7:54 PM  
Blogger catsmum said...

one should never miss a chance to work in a quote from Princess Bride and I've used that one a few times when there's been too much to blog about :)
Glad to have you back

4:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter