Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



01 May 2012

annoyed

Death, loss, and change, that's what this year is about.

Crap. I hate change.

This is turning into one of those years.

First it was a big loss, and then a more minor loss, and now it's riffing on annoying little changes.

The more minor loss was my part-time job. I kept quiet about that because I was embarrassed. But this year has become annoying enough that I don't feel like keeping quiet about it any more.

For over three years I had this great little part-time job cleaning a couple of local banks in the evenings. It was a great job for an introvert, all by myself (usually) in the empty building, with a set amount of time to do a set list of tasks. It was physically demanding, a three-hour workout twice a week that I got paid for.

And then, I got fired. For the stupidest reason on the planet:

Every so often, about a four-pack worth of the cheesy institutional toilet paper would disappear out of the case in the furnace room at one of my locations. It was annoying - I knew someone at the bank was taking it, but I had no way to lock it up.

I tried keeping a running tally on the side of the box, hoping the thief would get the clue that I knew how much they used per week, and would lay off and shell out for their own toilet paper. But no.

Then I tried another tactic: I wrote "Honesty is the best policy," which I thought was a pretty innocuous statement to make in a bank, on a piece of paper, and left that in the toilet paper box.

And I got fired. First I got a call from my manager, asking if I "left them a note", and I explained. I was reprimanded.

A couple weeks later, the manager asked to meet me, and told me I was fired. Someone at the bank had called the cleaning service and said I had left them a "nasty note".

So yeah: I was fired for trying to get someone else to quit stealing. Go me!

9 Comments:

Blogger fillyjonk said...

The honest people who try to do the right thing ALWAYS get screwed, I think. The devious people will win the day and we'll go extinct.

I'm sorry this happened to you.

1:02 PM  
Blogger  Lona said...

Goodness. I'm so sorry that happened to you. And yeah, it sucks. That's all I'm gonna say, as it's all that's fit to print.

3:56 PM  
Blogger Rose Red said...

Humph. I bet that "someone" was the TP thief. What a jerk. I'm sorry this happened to you, it totally sucks. May karma bite that jerk in a very soft spot.

10:16 PM  
Blogger Donna Lee said...

That is so sucky. I know you liked that job. I wonder if toilet paper is one of those things that gets stolen a lot. We had a tp scandal around here a while back. We never found out who was taking it.

8:02 AM  
Blogger Olivia said...

Argh! So mad on your behalf. That is completely unfair.

7:48 AM  
Blogger Virginia G said...

Oh, that sucks. A lot.

I'm sorry to hear about that. Feh. Stupid people.

3:58 PM  
Blogger Knitting Linguist said...

You have GOT to be kidding me!! In a bank? (And then again, why am I surprised?) I am so sorry - this is the kind of thing that's just like a sucker punch to the gut. Especially on top of what sounds like an already rough year. Hang in there...

12:57 PM  
Blogger SozKLee said...

That is awful I think you should threaten with some legal action, but I will put money on that I bet its not only toilet rolls going missing!! I hope this is resolved life sucks for the good people

5:38 PM  
Blogger catsmum said...

there are no adequate words

5:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter