Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



23 November 2005

It's snowing!

This is fairly early for Michigan, and the forecast says we have a winter storm watch in effect. It doesn't sound like the drive to Mom's with pies and cranberry sauce will be much fun! I think we'll take toothbrushes and pajamas and some knitting or tatting in case we end up staying overnight. I love winter, and I love snow, but even I admit that driving in a full-blown lake-effect blizzard doesn't qualify as "fun".


This window bird feeder is made of a double layer of mesh onion bag filled with black oil sunflower seeds and tied to the aluminum screen with a piece of garden string. So far (cross fingers) the squirrels have not gotten at this one. The picture shows the window screen all too clearly. Chickadees, goldfinches, and the red- and white-breasted nuthatches love this feeder. I do also get the occasional blue jay, who lands on it with a thump!

I just realized I didn't sign up for Cornell's Project Feeder Watch this year! I was amazed to find that over the years I've seen 25 different bird species at my small feeder area. My other feeder is in the fenced yard that I let my dogs out in, so squirrels usually leave it alone. On the rare instance when I do see a squirrel in the yard, I usually let the dogs out. They have fun chasing the squirrel and sniffing around afterwards, and the squirrel climbs to the top of the nearest maple tree and calls them evil names in Squirrel-ese.

Labels: , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter