Lost Arts studio

A lot of the fiber arts I enjoy are things like tatting, netmaking, chair caning, and even weaving, where people will come up to me when I demonstrate and solemnly tell me, "That's a lost art."

My Photo
Name:
Location: SW Outer Nowhere, Michigan, United States

On the Internet, nobody knows you're a chicken. (With apologies to Peter Steiner.)



22 November 2005

Seized by yet another new project

It occurred to me today that I finally understood Beverly Royce's instructions on how to start knitting a round doily from the center on two needles. I had just printed out Judy Gibson's "Oma's Lace" instructions for the circular feather-and-fan cloth, so I started casting on, and then knitting, and before I knew it I had to go pick up my son from school!

The yarnover rows are not too difficult this way. After it got a little bigger I realized I had started with a closed tube, instead of an open one. This meant the center was solid instead of open. Oh, well, now I think I understand how to do the open-tube cast-on, so I'll try that next time.

When I got to the rows that are "YO, ssk, O O, k2tog" I had to open it up onto multiple needles. No thanks, I am not going to try to do double yarnovers just to keep double knitting! And I also got the YO's out of alignment. Oops. That's okay, once an idea seizes me I seem to have endless patience smoothing out the bumps.

Labels: ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home



 

Contents copyright © 2005-2012 Lynn Carpenter